Is it fine if baby chicks eat newspaper

Brave Rooster

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2015
Los angeles cali
ok so i have six baby chicks and i have put wood shavings but they throw them into there water and i changed it and put newspaper but today i saw that they were eating the wet ones so i took it out and im worried if they cant pass it through there digestive system

Baby chicks favorite game is putting bedding in the water. I can't imagine that eating newspaper could be good for them.
Personally I would stay with the pine bedding and try raising their water. We set the waterer on a piece of 2x4 and then
on a brick as they got bigger.

That's the game my chickies were playing, too. Raised the waterer up on 2x4s ... no problem. Now, several are using the waterer as a roost! Too cute when I saw one peeking out, above the level of the box bottom flap. I thought, "what the heck?" Sure enough, on top of the waterer. And they're only 9 maybe 10 days old. Others get on top of a 1x4 I have spanning two upside down Dannon yogurt containers (big size). Guess what treat I may start to give them!? Except that it looks like plain yogurt may be messy messy messy. Don't need that!

Back
Top Bottom