Is it her time?

She's still with us. Ive been pampering her all yesterday, and while not force feeding her, been making sure she's getting water with vitamins.

This morning, she's still weak and hobbling around, but when I put their food down, she hobbled over and started eating a bit, which is an improvement from yesterday.

She's leaving feathers everywhere, this molt is really bad on her this year. Could the molt be leaving her this weak, given her age? I know it takes a lot out of them but could an older bird be slammed this hard with the molt? If so, and if I do manage to keep her alive, I can guarantee that she won't make another one :(

Lets hope she pulls through whatever it is. but I wish I knew for sure what it was !

Aaron

Can you add honey or maple syrup to the water as an energy boost? It has improved the appetite in my hens when I do that. I've also brewed echinacea tea and gave them that as their water with added honey or maple syrup. I only added the sweetener once it was cooled down to room temperature.

Have you tried giving her cooked egg yolk?

Ive been feeding her scrambled eggs, ill mix some honey in them. Funny you say that, i just serviced my beehives and have plenty of honey now :D They were watching me from a distance, they learned THAT lesson ONCE, long ago :D, Ill give them a treat.

She spent the day sitting in the coop, facing the corner, hunched up just laying there. It's not looking good for her. She was active this morning, but just after taking her nibbles, ran to hide from the rest of them, then came back to the coop to be by herself. Given how 'tender' they are being towards her, Im thinking they know too that she's not well. When she walks, she trips and kind of falls over, she's real weak, and im trying to keep her just 'happy' in one spot so she's not tripping all over the place. I don't want to put her in a separate cage, because the others are coming over to check on her occasionally and i don't want to isolate her from them, that seems kind of mean.

I got a cockatoo, in hopes that he out lives me, because I am so tired of burying pets.... then I go and get 4 chickens.... im an idiot.

Aaron

Update:
I don't know what to think now.
She hobbles and wobbles when she walks, looks like a penguin wings are droopy she falls over, looks like she's egg bound but she is NOT. (yes I went up there to check, im desperate here to see why she's acting this way !) unless they can get egg bound wayyyy up? Her bones are right too, and she has NOT been laying eggs for a long while, that much I do know.

Few days ago she was barely alive, would just hide in the bushes, wanted to be left along.

Today she's still weak, but actually came to the dish when I brought food out, the others were not so 'gentile' with her this time and she plopped on top of the food dish to kind of block them from getting to it, big LOL there, that'll teach them greedy little pigs !!

But she's still just nibbling and picking at the food. Appetite is picking up a little bit, so it seems.

She IS molting real bad though. Can a molt take them out this badly? If so, I do not see how she ever will make it through next years molt if she even makes it thru this years !

She isn't injured, that would not account for the weakness. I can't see how she could have gotten poisoned, because all of them would have been?

Hoping she pulls thru but really am confused now what went wrong.

Aaron

no she is not bloated, she in fact lost significant weight if anything. Like Broody x 10.
Her comb is not quite as grey ish as it was before so that is also a good sign im hoping.

Aaron

Any leg or feet injuries? Mine look like a penguin when they are about to lay an egg. Do you have a calcium tablet you can give her? Are you still feeding her scrambled eggs and honey?

Back
Top Bottom