Is it just me? Have we lost a lot of members? Members posting differently?

It's probably a combination of things; some people get tired of the site and some of the 'stuff' that goes on, some people get all caught up in new endeavors, and some people just get busy and involved in their real lives. Sometimes it's good to take a break, them come back refreshed.
yippiechickie.gif

I do have a question, though; how the heck do you unsubscribe to a thread on this new format???

Last edited:
Kansaseq - I've never tried it, but I think it has something to do with the "Subscriptions" link under your messages button. I was never subscribed to any threads to begin with, so it wasn't really a problem for me.

As for the original topic of the thread, there are a lot of people I miss, who just don't have the time to post as much on the forums anymore. I don't know an awful lot about chickens, so if I give advice I stick with the simple things that I have a little experience with.

I do have a question, though; how the heck do you unsubscribe to a thread on this new format???
You've hit on one of my pet peeves about the "new and improved" BYC. Go to the top of the page. On the right-hand side, just to the immediate left of your name you'll see "Subscriptions". Click that. Find the thread that you want to unsubscribe and move your cursor over that area. More text will appear including a small, red X. Click the X. A popup dialog box will appear asking if you really want to unsubscribe. Scream angrily, "Well of course I do you stupid program! Why do you think I went to all the trouble to navigate here, find this particular subscription, and clicked the X? It's not like I'm releasing a virus that will turn everyone into zombies! I can easily change my mind late on and resubscribe!" Decisively click the button that tells the program that you do indeed want to unsubscribe just to make it happy, and you're done. I suppose we ought to be thankful that we aren't than asked to fill out a questionnaire telling why we're unsubscribing from that particular topic. Whoops, I shouldn't have said that.
duc.gif

You've hit on one of my pet peeves about the "new and improved" BYC. Go to the top of the page. On the right-hand side, just to the immediate left of your name you'll see "Subscriptions". Click that. Find the thread that you want to unsubscribe and move your cursor over that area. More text will appear including a small, red X. Click the X. A popup dialog box will appear asking if you really want to unsubscribe. Scream angrily, "Well of course I do you stupid program! Why do you think I went to all the trouble to navigate here, find this particular subscription, and clicked the X? It's not like I'm releasing a virus that will turn everyone into zombies! I can easily change my mind late on and resubscribe!" Decisively click the button that tells the program that you do indeed want to unsubscribe just to make it happy, and you're done. I suppose we ought to be thankful that we aren't than asked to fill out a questionnaire telling why we're unsubscribing from that particular topic. Whoops, I shouldn't have said that.
duc.gif

Too late to edit it now.
lau.gif

I have noticed that some replies to beginners questions are quite rude and off putting. I think we all need to remember that we were all new to poultry keeping once and no matter how obvious an answer is to us, people would not ask the question if they knew the answer. A bit more tolerance is called for I think.

I also want to say that I find the new layout much more difficult to navigate/follow posts/load. I do understand the need for the change, and I also believe that it was in the best interest of BYC, but that doesn't make it any more user-friendly.

This is it for me. I used to be on here daily. Now I come MAYBE once a week. Eventually I probably won't come at all. One of my favorite posters hasn't been on since November and that is a big factor too--missing familiar folks who actually knew what they were talking about.

Rusty

I think there are a lot of reasons why things are running differently. Personally I love the my profile button because I can easily see any new posts on my previous topics. I think that this causes me to be on the same threads longer because I can remember what I've said and where I am in the thread. This time of year I used to hibernate from the forum to keep the chicken math away, but now that everything is so separate, I can avoid the "enabler" threads. I also have noticed he lack of answers on new posts. While I don't consider myself an expert by any means in relation to the numerous more knowledgeable members on BYC. I do feel qualified to answer beginning questions. If I don't know the answer I will clearly state that I am just guessing and try to keep to post going or redirect. As long as it is done in a positive manner I am more than fine with being corrected.

I think there are a lot of reasons why things are running differently. Personally I love the my profile button because I can easily see any new posts on my previous topics. I think that this causes me to be on the same threads longer because I can remember what I've said and where I am in the thread. This time of year I used to hibernate from the forum to keep the chicken math away, but now that everything is so separate, I can avoid the "enabler" threads. I also have noticed he lack of answers on new posts. While I don't consider myself an expert by any means in relation to the numerous more knowledgeable members on BYC. I do feel qualified to answer beginning questions. If I don't know the answer I will clearly state that I am just guessing and try to keep to post going or redirect. As long as it is done in a positive manner I am more than fine with being corrected.

Yeah that profile page is dangerous. I do the exact same thing. Once in a while I will even click more and see where I left off somewhere. Bad thing about that is I answer and then go bad to the threads I visit most and post so they are right back on top. LOL

BTW did you join Mahonri's Easter hatch?????? haha

There's no way to get rid of enablers on BYC!

Back
Top Bottom