Is it just me or are some people taking advantage of this new trend?

The grocery store charges $1 for yuck eggs and $3.80 for Egglands Best. We charge $2.50 and deliver, yet have few takers.
hmm.png

I am a big advocate of charging whatever the market will allow. Everyone puts a different value on everything. One person might feel that a new car is worth the price and another may feel that for the price of a new car they would rather build that new addition to the house. That being said, I talk to people who consider cage free fertile eggs to be gross
sickbyc.gif
I don't argue with them I just don't give them any of my eggs. I talk to other people who beg me for me eggs and say they are the only kind they would eat
clap.gif

So I say if people are willing to pay $5.00 for a dozen fresh eggs then they put a high value on them and it is worth it to them, no harm no foul. People who complain about the price can buy them all day at the local grocier and get what they pay for.
It's all about precieved value.

SillyChicken hit the nail on the head. It's basic economics. A producer can/will charge what the market will bear. I live about thirty-five minutes north of a very large college town. At the farmers market in town, eggs might sell for $3-4 per dozen. Twenty-five miles away it's more like $2-$2.50. There is one farm that sells them for $1.25 (cheaper than the grocery store). The "certified organics" sold at the farmers markets aren't even that good. Other than the fact that they're brown, they look like they could have been laid by a battery hen (yolks not thick and bright yellow/orange). The problem is, the farm that sells cheap is a working farm (dairy) not some bucolic scene from the "Sound of Music", I think. That and it's a little out of the way.

It's like that with most agricultural products though. For instance, early in sweet corn season the price gap is huge. I used to work for a bank in town that was probably the most popular among the Amish in the area. Their deposits during the height of the farmer's market season were pretty amazing sometimes. In fact, certain branches would stay open 30-45 minutes later some days so they could close out the market and come make their deposits. I don't consider it taking advantage so much as application of simple economic principles.

Last edited:
maybe thier feed is different... You couldn't break even on my eggs for 3 dollars a dozen.

I know we are a capitalist country... I get it I really do. I'm not running a business that is why mine are 2.00. Just to pay the feed for my chicken habit.
lau.gif

But.... I am fairly sure these eggs weren't 5 a dozen before the hype. AND, I know when the chicken guy isn't at the market with his $4 eggs everyone else's prices go up to $5. I just think that if we REALLY want to change the way people eat we shouldn't make the prices only affordable to the elite. I mean people can only afford what they can afford, and I just hope that putting such a HUGE markup on eggs and such doesn't ruin the ability of getting healthy and affordable eggs and other produce into the hands of folks that really need it. Rich people shouldn't be the only people allowed to eat healthy.
hu.gif
Plus, I think this kind of thing will affect the image of the farmer. Farmer's don't farm to "get rich quick"....

I seriously considered setting my 17 y/o disabled son up at the very small farmer's market this summer. Planning to charge $3.00 a dozen where normally I only charge $2.00.
I haven't done the research yet though. I don't know if there's a charge for rent, but I know that there is nobody else selling eggs either. I imagine we'd sell out.

Folks here cannot just walk into a store here and buy quail eggs.( maybe a few upscale delis in downtown Norfolk) they can go to the farmers market at Va Beach and pay $5/dozen and they do it all day saturday and sunday. if you ever sit down and figure out what each egg cost to produce including egg cartons shipping on egg cartons feed etc you would be surprised what you need to add to actually break even / make a little bit. I have been selling a few of mine to chinese take out places they cannot seem to get enough of them. The restaurants in the seedier parts of town I cannot get as much for the eggs as the upscale parts of town they will pay a little more.

Quote:
That's sad! Farm eggs are delicious, and $2 I consider a real bargain. I would even go up to $3 in our area. But NOT 5! However, these guys would be out of business if they weren't selling. So, I guess good for them. I just feel for those that need good produce and are cornered into eating the crap they can afford. I am DEF not running a business. I give some of my eggs to the food pantry. But for those that aren't quite food pantry level, but aren't able to afford $5 eggs are stuck with the commercial eggs in my region.
sad.png

I agree with PhilErvin, if people will pay that price then let them! I think the small operations aren't taking advantage at all. If someone doesn't like the price then they won't buy the product!

I buy organic meat from a man at our farmers market. He said part of the price is paying for all the hoops they jump through to sell to the public and to market the eggs/meat as organic. This man is actively involved with groups that monitor Monsanto sneakiness and governemental attemps to undermine the organic industry.

Taking good care of your livestock can be labor intensive. If you don't throw drugs down an animals throat, then you have to keep things clean and not overcrowd.

A commercial poultry barn, as we know, can house over 100 chickens in a space the size of a residential bathroom (poor birds). An organic free-range egg operation can't house 10 in the same amount of space. But those 10 birds are healthy & happy.

I wouldn't buy eggs from the grass-fed organic meat guy because he charges $7.50 for something I get from my pets. But I do know that his working birds are as happy as my pets. And this man sells out of eggs faster than meat!!
I do love the fact that I can get naturally cured bacon with no nitrates or nitrites from this vendor (the chemicals trigger my migraines). It's delicious alongside MY homegrown eggs!!

I know, there are arguments for all of the prices. I just think that overcharging makes fresh eggs an elitist endeavor. The fact that the vendors prices fluctuate based on who is at market tells me the mark up is intentional and not a break-even analysis. The prices changing smells a lot like gouging to me. Eggs aren't oil - charge what you charge based on your own break even and profit analysis. Next week they'll be back to $4 because the chicken guy will be there forcing the prices back down.

Back
Top Bottom