Is it just me or is something wrong with her?

red horse ranch

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 24, 2014
Buffalo Wyoming
I have a 6 month old peachick that is acting a bit lethargic. She just stands around, sometimes with eyes closed, and her wings droop just a little. How do you figure out a problem when all you have is just a feeling that something is wrong? :(

I have a 6 month old peachick that is acting a bit lethargic. She just stands around, sometimes with eyes closed, and her wings droop just a little. How do you figure out a problem when all you have is just a feeling that something is wrong? :(
Can you post a picture of her poop?

She lives in the henhouse with all my other poultry so it would be hard to tell which poop is hers. I think I may have to separate her so I can watch her closer. When I checked on her while ago she was standing up but had her head tucked under her wing. I think I will set up a cage here in the house and hope it isn't too warm for her inside. All my other coops would need a serious cleaning before I could use them.

The pea chick was in my quarantine box last night. This morning she's alive but walking very slow like she hurts inside. These are things I noticed about her this morning...

Her bowel movement appeared solid but the pine chip bedding was greenish around the poop. The feathers around her vent are clean.
She is breathing normally.
There is no swelling of her abdomen.
Her eyes are bright and clear.

I suppose she could have been hurt coming off some of the high perches. I hope that is the problem. But I am also doing some research about blackhead. I've never had it on our property. We do have swarms of starlings show up when bad weather hits like it did over Christmas. And always sparrows around here.

I appreciate any thoughts about her problem. :(

DSCN1319.JPG
DSCN1318.JPG

I have her in the house now. She's been sleeping all day. She drinks plenty of water with Sav-a-chick and she has eaten a few bites of egg and spinach.

Do you know the difference between regular poop and cecal poop? The poop pictured is regular poop and it looks fairly normal. They do their cecal poops 2-3 times a day, usually in the morning and evening. Cecal poops are usually dark and creamy, so keep an eye out for it.

Honesty, it would be best if you could get a vet to look at her.

I didn't know there was a difference in poop but I will watch for the cecal poop. I don't really have a way to weigh her. My bath scale is 30 years old and unreliable.

There are no vets around here that know anything about birds. I've asked them before. This is ranch country and all they know is horses, cows and dogs.

Hubby caught some fish today and I cooked some for her. She gobbled it down real fast.

The only thing I know to do is keep her in and hope for the best. Thank you for your help. :hmm

Back
Top Bottom