Is it leg mites?

LittleBird123

Songster
Nov 12, 2016
USA, Michigan
upload_2017-6-3_14-19-34.png

The scales on here feet have looked like this for a while, at first I thought it might be leg mites but none of my other chicken's legs look like this. The scales are just very thick and there is nothing under them that would be pushing them up. It also looks like she is growing some small spurs, can hens even grow spurs?

Hi @LittleBird123 :frow

It does look like she has Scaly Leg Mites.

Soak the feet and legs in soapy water, gently scrub them with a soft brush, dry, then apply some Vaseline, A+D ointment or castor oil. Re-apply oil daily for a couple of weeks. This should help smother the mites which are microscopic and cannot be seen with the naked eye.

Check her over for any signs of poultry lice/mites in her feathers as well (around vent, under the wings, etc.) if you see any, treat with a permethrin based poultry spray or dust.

If it is leg mites then wouldn't the other chickens have it too? They all share the same coop, so it seems like it would spread.
But i will try putting Vaseline on her legs for now and i will search her for any other mites.

If it is leg mites then wouldn't the other chickens have it too? They all share the same coop, so it seems like it would spread.
But i will try putting Vaseline on her legs for now and i will search her for any other mites.

Leg mites can be transferred through contact. But the spread is generally slow. The legs on your hen don't look near as bad as they could get, so if you start treatment now and get them under control, the less risk of them spreading.

9.5 out of 10 times DE will not cure leg mites.
Use vaseline, it really works.

Thank you the video was very helpful.
I washed her legs and feet in warm soapy water today, and I rubbed some Vaseline on her legs too. this was very difficult though, she is one of my more skittish chickens and hated the treatment. But she will have to deal with a few more treatments until her legs look better. :)

Back
Top Bottom