Is it me?!

millerchix

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
We picked up 2 chicks from our local co-op, a buff Orpington and gold laced Wyandotte. Within 24hrs the Orpington died. A few days later we picked up 3 more chicks from the same place, 2 americanas and a Delaware. One Americana is now acting really weak. The other chicks are looking great. They peck a lot at the weak Americana. I have separated the chick so she gets some rest, but I'm afraid she is not doing well. She is moderately drinking tho so I am hopeful. Any advice? Is it me or just what may happen? This is the first time it has happened and we have had chicks before.

We picked up 2 chicks from our local co-op, a buff Orpington and gold laced Wyandotte. Within 24hrs the Orpington died. A few days later we picked up 3 more chicks from the same place, 2 americanas and a Delaware. One Americana is now acting really weak. The other chicks are looking great. They peck a lot at the weak Americana. I have separated the chick so she gets some rest, but I'm afraid she is not doing well. She is moderately drinking tho so I am hopeful. Any advice? Is it me or just what may happen? This is the first time it has happened and we have had chicks before.
Info about your set up? Where are you brooding them? Size of brooder? Heat source? Temp under heat source and at the other end of brooder? How were they being housed there? What are you feeding them? You might want to put some sugar in their water, or give them some electrolytes. You can make your own, with or without the koolaid flavoring:

2 quarts water
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoons salt (I use Sea Salt)

7 Tablespoons sugar
1 packet Sugar-Free Kool-Aid (old fashioned, the kind you add sugar to. I only use 1/4 to 1/2 packet)

By far, the most important thing I give my chicks, whether they are stressed from hatch/shipping or acting perfectly fine is Poultry Nutri-Drench. They all get some during the first week.

Last edited:
Info about your set up?  Where are you brooding them? Size of brooder?  Heat source?  Temp under heat source and at the other end of brooder?   How were they being housed there?  What are you feeding them?   You might want to put some sugar in their water, or give them some electrolytes.  You can make your own, with or without the koolaid flavoring:

2 quarts water

1 teaspoon baking soda

1-2 teaspoons salt (I use Sea Salt)

7 Tablespoons sugar

1 packet Sugar-Free Kool-Aid (old fashioned, the kind you add sugar to.  I only use 1/4 to 1/2 packet)

By far, the most important thing I give my chicks, whether they are stressed from hatch/shipping or acting perfectly fine is Poultry Nutri-Drench.  They all get some during the first week.  

Thanks for the info! I have the chicks in a large plastic bin with a heat lamp for a heat source. I'm feeding them some medicated crumble. They are staying in the house until they are about 2 months old and can handle being introduced to the old hens. I'll add some electrolytes to the water to help her.

How big is the bin, and what's the wattage on the heat lamp? Red lamps + plastic bins = cooked nuggets
sad.png
. there's just not enough space for the chicks to get out from under the heat. Plus, if they're in the house and it's already heated, it may simply be too warm under the lamp.

It is large with room to exercise. I do have half the bin covered for shade from the light and the light is moved up so as not to get too hot. Thanks for the tips, the chick passed away last night. The other 3 are happy and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom