Is it my imagination?

paulinaydern

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 23, 2009
Can turkeys learn voice commands, or to react to certain phrases?

Our 3mo. old Jake will strut his stuff when we say, "Oohhhh, Looook. Ohhh how pretty!"

Almost every single time.

Is he just trying to impress us with how handsome he is all the time, or is he really reacting to our silly turkey talk?

sopretty2.jpg

And just for fun, a little bit of "then and now";

strut.jpg

sopretty1.jpg

And no, you may not come in the house even if you look so handsome!

sopretty.jpg

I personally believe they understand you. I have 6 week old wild easterns. I take the top off the box they are in at night and tell them lets go out. They fly out and follow me to their pen take the step in. It is funny. We do the same at night.

Toms love to display so much -- it seems they don't need much encouragement and often respond to ANYthing. However, I've noticed mine gobble more when they hear men's voices (versus female voices) talking.

I think they can learn to recognize certain sounds. On the farm here our dog "Tucker" is trained to herd the animals back into were they go and if the turkeys found their way out I clap 2 times and point and he b-lines for them and gets them all back in,same with the goats. anyways when either hear this they already are on their way back in before he gets there now. The turkeys hear it even on the other side of the fence and they back up off the fence.

Turkeys are much smarter than most give them credit for. I know my dh taught a couple of ours to fly to his outstretched arms to roost whenever he snapped his fingers and put his arms out. Of course, this only lasted until they got too big/heavy, but it was fun to watch.
smile.png

I not sure but my boys always strut around me. They always gobble when I talk to them too - they are so fun! I love my boys! Their names are Popcorn and Ruffles!
36763_turkeys.jpg

Back
Top Bottom