Is it normal for a rooster to chase new chicks/chickens around?

Ariana Martinez

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
I have 3 nearly month old chicks, I have been introducing them to my hen and roo carefully and frequently. But haven't actually let them stay out there without me watching them. When they are out there my hen is the one who wants to pick on them and sometimes chase around. But today my roo bolted towards one of them and chased her nonstop, I quickly rushed over and stopped it. The chick retreated into the coop and I stood between him and the house to be sure he didn't follow her inside. I don't know if he was trying to breed or he was just being aggresive. Is this normal roo behavior when a new chick/ chicken joins the group? . Should I be worried of him trying to kill her?

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer. They are fully feathered but I was unsure how my hen would act once I left them alone, and they are still a but smaller than her. And the rooster. I was also wondering will the rooster try to breed with the female chicks? Or will he wait till they are more mature.

He will not wait, especially since he only has one hen.

You should invest in hen saddles and more hens, because with only four, he'll be very eager to breed. A lot.

The hen may attack them, but most likely not out of aggression, and not frequently. It's more likely she'll every once in a while get in a small spat with them to show them she's on top.

My hen has actually attacked my little roo before, but she just took a few feathers. And sence my rooster is soo much bigger than the chicks will he hurt them if he tries to breed?

Okay I will get him despured as soon as possible.( how do I do it) and after I get him despured will his weight be a problem for the pellets ? He's about 2 feet tall and the pellets are still pretty small. I will be letting the pellets out after everything is taken care of.

My chickens live in a big open pen fenced in with panels and chicken wire. I was wondering should I worry about hawks, like will a try to attempt to take a chick if it got the chance to. There's no wire top or anything, they're just in a big pen. And there's a lot of hawks around.

My chickens live in a big open pen fenced in with panels and chicken wire. I was wondering should I worry about hawks, like will a try to attempt to take a chick if it got the chance to. There's no wire top or anything, they're just in a big pen. And there's a lot of hawks around.

If given the chance a hawk will take its prey when the time is right you might want to invest in or look around the threads for hawk proofing your run,better safe than sorry. Best of luck and I agree get more hens for your rooster and hen saddles or you will end up with some bare backed pullets/hens.

Ok thanks. I can't exactly get more hens at the moment because my hen I have now is setting on a nest, and they are due to hatch soon. And umm, I have no idea what a hen saddle is... So can u please explain it to me.

Back
Top Bottom