Is it ok for ducks to eat...

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
OK, well I feed my ducks corn, that brown crumble stuff, minnows, and bugs.

I ran out of the brown crumble stuff.
Mom went to the store for me and the guy at the feed store gave her some kind of feed.
It was rocks. Like bits of granite. I read over the back and it said that it was for chickens, which i dont have.

I thought ducks were waterfowl.
Now Im being told they are poultry?!
Help on this one, I think the guy is insane.

I threw it out because my goats like to eat the duck feed as well and I didnt think the rocks would go well with them. Plus Ive got a female that may set soon and i didnt want to try anything with her. (this is my first breeding pair).

The whole trouble with this is now my ducks want to eat my goat pellets.
Is it ok for them to eat that? Its just regular goat pellets. Also, would that rock stuf have been ok for the ducks AND the goats?

It almost sounds like the feedstore gave you grit..

Ducks are considered poultry, but if the feed says it is for chickens, it might be medicated. Medicated feed for ducks is a no-no.

-Kim

Thanks. Im not sure what the guy said exactly because unfortunatly I was not there when she got the feed.

The rocks were probably grit. Since chickens do not have teeth, the grit is to help them to break down food in their crop. Then it will go into their stomaches. Something like that
lol.png
It is not food.

What you need is called Flockraiser. It is for ducks, turkeys, chickens, etc. It is multipurpose. I'm not sure what is in your goat food. I can't say if it is good for your ducks or not.

You can also feed your ducks lots of grass. Mine used to like the grass throw into their kiddie pool so they could slurp it back out. They also love lettuce and other related greens.

Back
Top Bottom