Is it ok for ducks to mate with brothers and sisters?

Interesting thread.
I bought 6 Cayuga eggs & all 6 hatched. I have 3 girls & 3 drakes & I have no idea if there brothers & sisters. They have been doing the wild thing alot & now 1 that I know of is laying eggs & they are fertile but I'm guessing because it's winter here in New Zealand she is not sitting on the eggs. Also she keeps moving where she is laying. How do I get my Cayuga ducks to lay in the same spot?
Also how do I get them to stop waking me up at 7am every morning lol....duck alarm...quack, quack, QUACK..!

question- if I get 2 duck eggs will they most likely still be alive after shipping if needed? also, if they are 1 male and 1 female will they breed? I don't want them to but will they? thanks:jumpy:)

PS.-what is the best breed of duck?

I started with a batch of 14 growing eggs, 7 were born 1 drowned accidentally in the incubator, 3 died 6 months old I think this is because the lady I got the eggs off all her ducks are imbrued, I actually opened a failure to hatch once just on hatch it died, it’s brain was on top of its head. Now the majority seem fine but the illnesses I deal with, one by one get sick, they have trouble walking, problems with their eyes, and die, I have 2 survivors in 6 months of a hatch of 7, I think imbreading needs to stop, the losses and illnesses are tramendous!

Back
Top Bottom