Is it OK to feed this mush to all chicks for now?

alessadry

Songster
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Hello all,

I got 17 baby chicks mailed 2 days ago, and upon opening the box all looked fine except for one weak chick that had its eyes closed shut. A few hours later opened its eyes and started walking a bit around. Still weak though and wouldn't eat nor drink. So I offered it egg yolk and he/she eagerly ate it from my hands. Problem is, all the other chicks were always trying to eat it too. (Stupid me, last time I was in town I didn't buy another lamp so I could keep this chick separated from the others and feed it calmly).

Anyhow, now have made some progress, The first day ate only raw yolk from my finger, then started giving boiled egg yolk from my hand, and now mixed the yolk with chick starter feed and electrolytes (save-a-chick) making a paste and now will eat this paste if offered on a piece of cardboard. (took a while to figure out he/she can peck on the ground!)

Since separating this chick from the others is not possible until Monday when I get another lamp, I started making this paste for all chicks and now it has become their morning and evening treat. I put it on a long piece of cardboard so there's enough of room to share and they eat and scratch at it for hours. Since the other chicks nibble on normal chick starter during the day, after a while they get tired of the mush, and only the sick chick and few others gets to eat with little competition at the end.

Was wondering if it's OK for the sick chick to eat this twice a day? I provide enough mush that it lasts for up to 4 hours each time Afterward I toss it, as I read it can go sour and do harm. The sick chick doesn't eat the chick starter outside of these feedings. I also worry if the rest of the chicks get spoiled since I am seeing them eating a bit less of starter feed every since I started the mush. They all go crazy when they see the mush.

I have fed a daily helping of scrambled eggs to my chicks as a treat and they thrived on it. I only gave what they would eat within minutes. Your weaker chick should start eating more chick starter as you cut some of the egg out. It probably fills up on only that since you are replacing it twice a day.

Thanks, yes, I am now giving like 70 percent chick starter mixed with 30 percent egg yolk and the rest is sav-a-chick water with electrolytes. I call it mush, because it's like the mush you give when weaning puppies. Only thing is I am feeding this to the weak chick only twice a day, and was worried if it's not good to have her eat only morning and evening and a lot at once (she eats like for 4 hours each time), rather than spread out throughout the day.

I would give it out more often but then all the chicks would then start eating only that too, and I wanted to give time in between in hopes the weak chick would go try the eat the dry chick starter (that's always left out) like the others do rather than the mush, but so far no luck:(

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd continue offering the wet feed, but completely stop adding egg to it b/c of the risk of spoilage. You can give them scrambled cooked egg instead of the raw. I would not bother to separate this little chick. She will be more stressed if alone than she is being with her more robust flock mates. (as long as she's not getting trampled into the bedding. IMO the best things you can do for your chicks in addition to a good fresh starter feed are:

Ferment that feed. (see the link at bottom of my signature)
Give them Poultry Nutri-Drench.
Give them a plug of sod from an untreated lawn. This will go a long way to boost their immunity and give them multiple other benefits as well.
Continue to offer some scrambled egg. Keep in mind how very tiny they are, and feed accordingly. When I am brooding 15 or more chicks, I give them 1 egg/day.
Brooding with a heating pad cave. (see the link at bottom of my signature) This gives them a much more natural brooding experience, speeds their feather development, makes it almost impossible to overheat them, and improves their social development.

Thanks Lazygardener,
The egg I have been giving lately was boiled egg yolk (sorry failed to mention that). not raw. They all get the total of a boiled yolk a day (not each a yolk, a yolk feeds them all).Does the boiled yolk spoil too if let out too long? I think they eat it all though. I can try scrambled if it's less prone to spoilage.

I will head your advice not to separate her. I tried earlier and all she did was chirp and eat a bit and then chirp more, if I add another chick with her she eats more, but wants back in the brooder with her friends.

I am learning more about fermented foods and read your helpful article. My chicks seem more attracted to moist food than dry. Had a couple of questions about it and posted them in another thread.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom