is it ok to give chickens leftover food

brahmakid11

Songster
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
sitting on the toilet
it is totally ok to give chickens the leftover food scraps that you have i have a coffee can that i put food scraps in and dump the food on the ground and all 38 of my
chickens go crazy for it
pop.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

NO NO NONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!! you MUST NOT give them all the good yummie treats and leftovers from your table!!! you MUST pack them allll up in a nice refridgerated box and send them immediatly to me so that I can give them to my girls and Bird to check first. If they survive all the yumminess, then and only THEN can you give them some of what you had. Oh wait, you gave them all to me.....

welcome!

ohhh really? I have never given my girls onions before... so we can 'tint' the flavor of our eggs...... hmm....... what if we feed them ham and green foodcoloring? will we get 'green eggs and ham' all rolled into one???????

No, seriously, I have fed my girls everything except citrus. I was told not to give that to them. I have found they eat what they like, and dont eat junk they dont like. I did also learn that they can choke on grapes if not cut up, they will swallow broccoli without chewing... (dang, no teeth anyway) all in one gulp, they LOVE to fling yogurt and cheese slices, they dont like green beans out of the garden - to much work for them to shell. and they LOVE to go after the brussel sprout plants.

Let them eat on!!!!!!
tongue.png

My chickens will also eat our table scraps...they loved this last week when my salmon loaf did not "turn out!" They thought is was perfectly exciting food.
smile.png

Last edited:
Call me a party pooper, but I don't give my chickens people food scraps. They do get garden leftovers like tomatoes, corn, and any veggies or fruits we have extra. If they get fat, they can get fatty liver disease, and die before their time, and it can cause problems for laying hens.....(Or so I've heard.)

I know, now everybody wants to throw tomatoes at me! LOL

I haven't gave my girls table food but man do they love everything else . it will only take 5 min for watermelon to be gonewith nothin but the rin left. grapes,lettuce,sunflower seeds the lists is endless and they love it they see me comin with it and run to the door. I love my babies their my joy in this crazy world..

Back
Top Bottom