Is it ok to only raise one chick?

Chickadee13542

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2018
If I have 2 chickens is it ok to raise only 1 chick to add to my other 2? Will the chick get lonely or cold? Any advice would be really helpful.

If I have 2 chickens is it ok to raise only 1 chick to add to my other 2? Will the chick get lonely or cold? Any advice would be really helpful.
I raised one chick once. She was a tiny bantam, and her mother (Stinky) and all her siblings had been killed in a brutal hawk attack. It was Summer Break, so thankfully school was out (This was when I still went to school) I raised her on a hot water bottle, and she thrived. My siblings would feed her blackberries that they picked, we'd watch movies with her, she was the sweetest thing. The tamest chicken I've ever owned. She died about a year ago. I think you could raise just one. Although if you work a full time job, or go to school, it would be kindest to get the little one a buddy. It was Winter when I raised the little hen (Opal her name was) and I had no way to possibly get Opal a friend. If you can get your chick a friend I suggest you do it.

Chickens are flock animals. They need other birds to flock with. Raising a single chick can be done, but it is not in the best interests of the chick to do so. Many states have a policy that a customer can not buy less than 6 chicks at a time from a feed store for this very reason. It prevents the "single pet chick" purchases.

Back
Top Bottom