Is it ok to spank our roo?

As others have said, other methods will probably work better than spanking him. Of course, seeing someone spank a rooster would be good for a lot of laughs.
tongue.png
Also, to echo what others have also said, if the aggression is extremely bad, it may just be better to make him into tasty BBQ.

Quote:
ditto ....spanking is a human thing, its a chicken, he doesn't think human

Last edited:
Quote:
ditto ....spanking is a human thing, its a chicken, he doesn't think human

He will remember you kicking his butt. Mine did. He knows I'll do it again. I'm top roo & he knows it. How else do you become top roo.I'm not gonna kiss him I'm gonna let him know who I am.

Well, I have had quite a few laughs reading through this thread. While I don't advocate cruelty to animals, they sometimes have to be shown who is boss. I probably will not be keeping a rooster because we live in a residential neighborhood, but if I do, he had best mind his manners. He will not like the results if he doesn't. This is especially true if he turns on my wife, daughters, or granddaughter. That would equal chicken and dumplings.

Quote:
I agree !! My roo does a good job but if he doesn't & gives me trouble I just put him in place. So far so good. I do like chicken and dumplings . But I need him to protect & fertilize the eggs its all good.

Has anyone considered at different approach. They are chickens-they understand pecking order. Most often hierarchy is determined by minimal brutality and more by behaviors.

I read a post here on BYC where a fellow never gets rid of a rooster due to bad behavior because his son, the one assigned the task, is the one to gentle the roo and encourage the nicer rooster behavior. He wrote an extensive post with all the important details.

Put rooster in a crate; feed from a cup, feed by hand; pick up and carry rooster while doing chores. He says he can "fix" all the roosters. I, too, think it really just takes a little understanding of how roosters and hens function. ANd a little time and patience.

This doesn't necessarily help your current situation, but if you ever raise a rooster again, you might want to consider establishing your dominance to him early on in life. I make a habit of doing this with my babies during their daily socialization sessions (since you usually can't tell right away which is a roo).

I feed them all treats, let them perch, pet them, etc. But I ALSO hold them upside-down in the palm of my hand. This is a very submissive position for the birds, and they get put into it on a daily basis from day one. It's also a very good opportunity to give them tickles on their cute bellies
tongue.png
. After a while, the birds are imprinted that you are dominant because they get so many belly tickles. It also reinforces with them that you will not hurt them, as they spend so much time vulnerable to you.

I actually raised a rooster this way a number of years ago, and he was a bratty little cuss to anything that moved near his flock (which was hilarious because he was a banty and tiny). BUT, when it came to me, he'd keep a good 5 foot distance at all times. I personally think he was pretty convinced that he'd get tickled and embarrassed in front of his girls if he came close to me. He was still holdable too, once I caught him. He'd settle right down and trill for me. The way he had been raised made for a really nice bond that was beneficial to the both of us. He got to look manly in front of his ladies, and I got to never be attacked.

Unfortunately, this method didn't curb him from attacking everything and everyone else, so if I had had children at the time, I probably would have had to have stewpot him.

Well folks, I've read through this entire thread and I must say there is a very diverse set of idea's on rooster control in America. Some I like, some I think are somewhat overboard. I'll say the only time I would "kick" a roo is to get him off my leg, but that would be more of a swing than a kick. And I don't know if training a chicken is anything like training a dog, but with dogs I've found each one has a different breed trait to which he would respond. But kicking only releases the humans emotions. But one that says anybody that would talk about making their roo into chicken and dumpling shouldn't even have chickens is just a tad out of touch. If you have chickens for pets that your deal. Most of the rest of us have the chickens for survival, food and eggs. I would not call them pets but more as another animal on the farm that is subject to be food on the table. My grandmother on Sunday went into the chicken house picked out a hen around 10:00 in the morning, pop off her he ad and by 12:30 she, the chicken, was on the table. What we ate was what we grew. Chicken, beef, milk, veggies, and most everything else. We did buy flours. Had to have dresses for the girls. When your raise that way, everything on the farm is fair game. Well all but the dog, plow horse, and each other.
big_smile.png

So it seems we all have chickens for different reasons. But don't chastise someone else for wanting chickens for meat. And stop the kicking. Who what to eat a bruised roo?
tongue.png

p

Back
Top Bottom