Is it okay to give chicks egg every day?

Smartie_Pants

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Madisonville, KY
I scramble up one egg a day and let them eat it out of my hand. They love it and it shows them they don't have to be scared of me. The rest of the day they get their medicated chick crumble. I was just worried it might be too much protein for them.

Also, what are some other treats I can give them?

never heard of too much protein when it came to chicks
old.gif
...I do it as well...lots of times I will boil some eggs and put that in a food processor to make it real little and start the babies on that for a day or two...lots of coturnix eggs!

I fed hard boiled eggs a few times a week when they were little. Don't see where a little a day would hurt them.

Quote:
I started at 10 days old. I've read of others starting earlier, some later.
I figure if mama was raising them she'd be teaching them all about good things to eat by 10 days old.

I have read that too much protein can put stress on their hearts. Too much growth, too fast. I've also read that it can affect other organs. I'm trying to re-find my sources...

that really only applies to the cornish cross meat birds and has more to do with their over eating than the protein content of the food

Quote:
i would have thought more protein the better, but that makes sense, thanks for the insight!!

Cornish crosses have that problem.

At any rate, there is no harm giving the little ones some of that protein stuff as long it is not their sole food that they are eating. Mashed green beans, they love that with the eggs LOL! Not too much, mind you or they will get the squirts!

All my baby poultry gets hard boiled egg from day 1. If you have alot of extra eggs, it stretches the feed costs greatly. for the first week I just give the yolk, then after that the yolk and the white. If you are worried about too much protein, which I have never had a problem, just give the yolk, all the protien is in the white.

Back
Top Bottom