is it possible for a hen only 61/2 months old ?

Four out of my 5 original hens are broodies. Before I knew that, I ordered a couple of Buff Orp chicks. They now want to be broody. Not real serious yet, but I know they will be next spring. Also, I hatched the eggs from one of my broodies, and the one nonbroody. Both are Dominiques. I have 5 little Dominique pullets running around, and I'm sure that some of them will be broody too. Good Lord, what have I done?

One broody hen is great. I really wanted one. One.

So, here is my Broody Jail, complete with one very hormonal hen.

100_1357.jpg

I built it out of scrap materials that we had on hand. You can't see the roost from this angle. It is in the middle. I'm not necessarily recommending this particular setup. I was desperate and just wanted to give it a try. But you get the idea. It is big enough for 2 broodies, and has had 2 broodies in it before. However, I do have one girl who is very aggressive when she is broody, and must be in solitary confinement. Her name is Precious. HA! She is not Precious when she is broody...

Anyway, good luck everyone, with breaking your naughty broody hens. And onthespot, I can hook you up. But once they go, you have to keep them!

I like your broody coop Lauralou. That looks like it would work great.
clap.gif

I was wondering if a large live trap would work in a pinch. I have one pullet who seems to be in the nest a lot, altho she will still go out in the runout with the rest without a problem so I don't know if she's going broody or just trying to lay an egg!! In case she is going broody, I was looking around last night trying to figure out what I could put her in and I spotted our coon-sized live trap. It's about 2X bigger than a nest box and it's all made out of wire. I just wasn't sure about the size. Has anyone else used something like that?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I'm addicted to making those cages!
lau.gif
Mine aren't used for broody hens YET (they are only 17 weeks) but they are used for roosters who terrorize their hens. I have one roo with every so many hens and sometimes my hens just need a break for the day. I put them all back home to roost at night. So far I have made five...most are different sizes but on average they are 3x3. They are great fun to make
big_smile.png
If you want to see one of them look here:

http://journals.aol.com/breakaway1968/hangin-wit-my-peeps/#Entry3346

Back
Top Bottom