Is it possible for drakes and female ducks to live together without having ducklings

Lauren84

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2023
Essex, England
In May we rescued 3 beautiful ducklings. They are a few months old now and we believe that 2 are females and 1 is a drake.

They have all been together since they hatched and although they are still young are so happy as a group. Always together swimming and foraging.

We love all 3 of them and would love to keep them living together rather than adopting another male and having a separate female and male coop and run for them. However, we could not accommodate lots of ducklings in the future. Is there a way that they could stay living together without them having lot’s of ducklings or is this not possible?

This is our first time keeping ducks and I am still learning. Thank you very much for any advice I really appreciate it.
799C34E2-BC0C-4D96-A533-E709524FF48B.jpeg

Ducks usually only lay one egg a day. So, they do not set on the nest and incubate the eggs until the nest is full. That way, all the ducklings hatch on the same day. So, as the others have said, remove them daily. They taste amazing! And, if you keep taking them, they keep laying them. I have a line of friends willing to take any extra I have.

The white one may not go broody, but certainly collecting eggs daily is the way to go. My son has one drake and two females and they all do very well. Sometimes drakes might over mate with one or two females and another female or two are needed. But just see how yours do: broguht up together and close they will likely be OK

Back
Top Bottom