Is it possible that a 17 week old might be rooster that hasn't crowed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kelly G, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Yesterday one of my RIR pullets (or so I thought!) flew at the back of my legs and tried to spur me when I turned my back on them! Darn chicken!!! I turned around and gave her a good swift kick...now she/he is keeping her distance from me!

Is it possible this is really a roo that hasn't learned to crow yet? They will be 18 weeks old on Tuesday. She does appear more developed (comb and wattles as well as more pronounced tail feathers) than the others from the same hatching.

I'll take a picture when I go back tonight and post them here this evening. Fricken chicken!

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Anything is possible with chickens [​IMG]

Hens can be aggressive, especially if they're startled or frightened. A rooster can be slow to develop, and/or could be crowing when you're not around to hear him.

But by 17 weeks RIRs are usually obvious to sex by sight, the roos should have big upright red combs & dangle-y wattles, shiny thin pointy feathers on the neck & saddle, and the beginnings of metallic green sickle-shaped feathers growing from his tail.
    [​IMG] We need photos to help you be certain.

3. TheChad

TheChad In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Bucyrus Ks
    I have a RIR rooster that is 19 weeks old and is definitly a ROO and he has never crowed.

4. goldenluver

goldenluver Songster

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    [​IMG]:barnieI have 15 RIR at three weeks of age one started to look a little roo-ish. As it turns out I was correct, and he didn't start crowing until he was about 15 weeks old, nowhe does not shut up.

5. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Some roosters crow super early (I had one that crowed at less than one month old!) and some crow super late, so you never know. And, yes, pictures would definately help! [​IMG] Genie

6. Kelly G

Ok...I'm back - and I've got PICTURES!!!!! Darn chicken!

Here is the culprit:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Kelly G

short video coming next....

8. MoTownChickie

MoTownChickie Songster

Apr 24, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Looks like a roo to me!

9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It's a pullet.

10. SangaChicken

SangaChicken Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Memphis
    It looks like a pullet to me, but she looks EVIL. Look at that look in her eye.. she definitely plans on eating you for dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: