Is it possible to breed black birds with pale green legs?

Gypsy07

Songster
9 Years
Feb 4, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Like the question says, is it possible? Or is there some genetic reason that would make it not possible?

The breed of chickens that I keep have a (somewhat experimental) Black variety. I don't actually have any myself; they're VERY rare. But there's been some discussion lately among the breeders who DO keep them about their leg colour. They're supposed to have pale willow green legs, but apparently it's proving rather difficult to reliably produce this on an all-black bird. More often than not they seem to end up with legs that are a mixture of green and black which is known as 'lizard'.

Some people have called for the breed standard to be changed to reflect the near impossibility of achieving pale green legs on a bird with black plumage.

Other people have pointed out that if bright yellow legs are achievable on a Black Leghorn then pale green legs should also be achievable..

I'd like to know whether it's possible to achieve but difficult, or genuinely impossible...

Can anyone help me out with some information please?

Last edited:
Quote:
this is entirely possible, however you have to watch other traits that are involved. If the birds are tending to a black, purple, or what is often called gypsy face then you will have difficulty maintaining the lighter leg, dark faces are associated with dark leg color. additionally keep an eye on skin and underdown color. Lighter under down and yellow skin will assist in keeping the lighter leg.
everyone breeding black birds with leg color other than black fight this problem but it is possible you just have to understand what is required to maintain the trait and breed toward those things, in turn you will see the leg color you want, or breed for leg color through selection and you will in turn see the other traits become more common that are associated with it.

Quote:
its Possible, you just have to stay away from Extended Black Birds or Birchen Based birds... you can have a Black Bird based on wild type(e+) and have eather blue or green shanks...

Edit. is it possible to have an all black bird based on e+? Yes.. easy? NO.. but possible.

Last edited:
I raise Pyncheon Bantams....and they are supposed to have willow colored legs. I have had a few blacks and they did have willow legs.....I hope this helps?

Back
Top Bottom