Is it possible to have a permanently bald chicken

wildgreenegg

Chirping
Oct 26, 2018
Hi. My sister gave me a rescue chicken last year around October. She was pecked bald down to the skull but now has all her skin grown back and her feathers except for a strip--kind of like a mohawk with no hair...erp. Feathers. Just pink/red skin. She is isolated by herself. She has just gone through her first molt and still no feathers there. Do you think the feathers will ever grow back? If not, does this mean she will have to be isolated for the rest of her life?--years and years...Any suggestions/cures? I'd like her to be with the other chicken that I have but am afraid the spot would be like a beacon in the dark to peck on.

It's possible the... I'm not sure what they're called. The places where the feathers grow from. For hairs, it's "follicles". Whatever they are, it's possible that they were damaged enough that they won't grow any more feathers. Humans can start going bald if they wear too many tight-pulled hairstyles because it scars the follicles.
I don't think it'll be an issue with the pecking. Try to introduce her and see if she goes okay.

Hi. My sister gave me a rescue chicken last year around October. She was pecked bald down to the skull but now has all her skin grown back and her feathers except for a strip--kind of like a mohawk with no hair...erp. Feathers. Just pink/red skin. She is isolated by herself. She has just gone through her first molt and still no feathers there. Do you think the feathers will ever grow back? If not, does this mean she will have to be isolated for the rest of her life?--years and years...Any suggestions/cures? I'd like her to be with the other chicken that I have but am afraid the spot would be like a beacon in the dark to peck on.
Pics?

These are old photos. One shows her injuries with meds on and the other after it healed but it's the same even after the molt. 20180903_163753.jpg 20181031_100739 (1).jpg

I would think it is possible for it to be damaged enough for her to be permanently bald. Like in a human if they have a bad enough scar on their head. Poor baby.

It should be. Just watch them real good when you put them together. Maybe introduce them when you have time to sit and watch. If it is only them two it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Sorry for the late response but I did want to thank all of you for your advice! I don't know that I'll try today or this weekend but I will let all of you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom