Is it possible to have multiple flocks of chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mattsiewrt94, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Hello I have 2 roosters in one flock of 7 hens and I wanted to know is there a way to have multiple flocks of chickens coexisting if they have there place to go to go to they all free range and go in one of my barns and the yards big so they won't run into to each other idk just wanted to know if it's possible

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In a free range farm type situation it is very common for roosters to develop their own 'harems'. Such roosters will upon occasion breed one another's hens.

3. Mattsiewrt94

Nov 5, 2013
    So is that a yes I can have multiple flocks of chickens

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Maybe. There are times when a dominant rooster will claim all of the hens. The subordinate roosters will hang around the outskirts of the flock attempting to gang breed the hens. Such a situation can result in serious, even fatal injury to the hens.

5. Mattsiewrt94

Nov 5, 2013
    Well I only have 2 roosters I just wanted to seperate them because the rooster that is not dominated tried to kill one of my hens :/

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hen aggressive roosters should end up in the crock pot. Such behavior should be unacceptable to anyone keeping poultry.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Exactly. I would never keep any bird that actively tried to kill another bird.

8. Mattsiewrt94

Nov 5, 2013
    Well that's why I'm gonna try to seperate the flocks and if that doesn't work he's gone

9. eatwhatyougrow

eatwhatyougrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    dittos. I wouldnt even bother seperating the flocks just get ride of the less dominate malfactor

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It is even possible that by separating into two flocks and giving this hen aggressive rooster his own flock that he could become even more aggressive once he's the dominant bird. The only way to separate this flock is going to be to fence them apart anyway and have a separate roosting area at night. From what I got from your post they would still share common areas? Maybe I'm not understanding your plan but if that is the case they are not going to separate but will still retain their current flock the way it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by