Is it possible to have multiple flocks of chickens

Mattsiewrt94

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013
Hello I have 2 roosters in one flock of 7 hens and I wanted to know is there a way to have multiple flocks of chickens coexisting if they have there place to go to go to they all free range and go in one of my barns and the yards big so they won't run into to each other idk just wanted to know if it's possible

In a free range farm type situation it is very common for roosters to develop their own 'harems'. Such roosters will upon occasion breed one another's hens.

Maybe. There are times when a dominant rooster will claim all of the hens. The subordinate roosters will hang around the outskirts of the flock attempting to gang breed the hens. Such a situation can result in serious, even fatal injury to the hens.

Well I only have 2 roosters I just wanted to seperate them because the rooster that is not dominated tried to kill one of my hens :/

Hen aggressive roosters should end up in the crock pot. Such behavior should be unacceptable to anyone keeping poultry.

It is even possible that by separating into two flocks and giving this hen aggressive rooster his own flock that he could become even more aggressive once he's the dominant bird. The only way to separate this flock is going to be to fence them apart anyway and have a separate roosting area at night. From what I got from your post they would still share common areas? Maybe I'm not understanding your plan but if that is the case they are not going to separate but will still retain their current flock the way it is.

Back
Top Bottom