Is it possible to incubate using an electric buffet?

mispollitos

Songster
9 Years
Sep 30, 2010
I'm reading that some people have successfully hatched chicken eggs in crock pots https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3058885 or electric frying pans, a crock pot I have...is it possible to do that with an electric buffet? I can add water beneath the pans for humidity. How easy that would be for me to turn the eggs having them incubate on the kitchen counter! It's unclear if the poster covered their electric frying pan or left it uncovered for air circulation.

I have an electric buffet http://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Matic-EWM-9933-Platinum-2-Quart-Stainless/dp/B002DUCCEW/ref=pd_sbs_k_4
and
I'm testing the temperatures by putting a small towel on the bottom and a wet towel in aluminum foil to keep them separate. Also have a refrigerator magnet thermometer in there to tell me the temperature. It is possible to set it below 100 degrees with the plastic lid on. There's a whole for a serving spoon for ventilation and there is condensation on the lid...if I were to put eggs on the towel and cover them with another towel....could this work?

Last edited:
i seriously doubt it's any more of a hazard than having an incubator plugged in for 21 days...or a light bulb and fan rigged into styrofoam or a heating pad.

Last edited:
i seriously doubt it's any more of a hazard than having an incubator plugged in for 21 days...or a light bulb and fan rigged into styrofoam or a heating pad.

I disagree with that one;).
My crockpot gets HOT on the outside. With no liquids in it I can only imagine how bad it would be. Other than my lightbulb, my incubator does not generate any major heat. And the lighbulb is secured in a way where there is no way it can touch anything else.

But, anyways.
smile.png

It should work fine, if you are able to maintain temp and humidity, why not? Also I doubt it will be a fire hazard, those things are designed to be on all day anyways and at low tems it's unikely to get hot enough to cause combustion. You could fill your crock pot with dry paper and leave it on high and it will never get hot enough to combust. Remember the boiling point of water is 212f I think and paper does not combust until about 450F.

Fun stuff. See what happens. My great grandmother incubated eggs near her wood cook stove and I've kept rabbit new borns warmed in my open oven. Be safe. Keep us informed of the results!

Back
Top Bottom