Is it possible to litter train chickens?

I think I got it! You would have got spend a lot of time with the chicken though, as soon as you notice them wanting to poop/urinate, put them in the box, they poop there, and then reward them with a treat. Then, they know what good behavior is, and maybe will try to keep doing it?

I wonder, if you scooped a bunch of poops into one section of the coop, and some how got the chicken to poop there e a few times, if they would recognize the poop spot.....
Try it. I can't try that because my rooster is an indoor rooster. LOL And he is the only poultry I have. I do have a cat, and I fight with my rooster all the time about not going by the kitty litter :lau

Attachments

• 20201030_224242 (1).jpg
    20201030_224242 (1).jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1
I think I got it! You would have got spend a lot of time with the chicken though, as soon as you notice them wanting to poop/urinate, put them in the box, they poop there, and then reward them with a treat. Then, they know what good behavior is, and maybe will try to keep doing it?
Are you sure about that. it seems like they poop almost every 5 minutes. You're gonna get tired. LOL

Although birds don't have the same kind of muscled sphincter that we do, which is meant to control when we choose to go, they do still have some muscles around theircloaca, which is their everything hole—eggs and excrement all come from the same place! ... Still, birds can feel when they need to poop.
Maybe if they can feel when they need to go, then they can run to the litter box in time to poop!

Back
Top Bottom