Is it possible to potty train a quail?

Birds are actually pretty smart creatures. Quail are often thought of as pretty dumb and I can a test to having owned some very ditzy quail. :p

There was a big study done at a university in Texas on training Coturnix quail to pick out colors, shapes and count, somewhere there is a video of all this and they indeed learned how to do all of these things. Pretty amazing stuff!

I had trained my quail with a dog clicker to go inside their enclosure at night or during times of emergency, aviary clean up, etc... all 35 of them would file in and not a one was left outside. Several of them learned their names and came when called and some learned to get on my lap by patting my leg.

I used to keep Lovebirds, a type of very small parrot and while parrots are known to be smart, the tinier they are, the dumber they can be! This little bird named Skeebie was a pooper. I mean every 10 mins this bird was pooping! She loved to hang out with me while I sat around on the couch and it got really tiring to just sit down with her and there she goes! So I began to train her to poop on command. I held her on my finger and bounced her up and down while saying the word Poop. Of course if she had just gone, this might take a while to wait out. The moment I saw she was going to poop, I said the word Poop. After many months of this, eventually she DID learn to poop on command! Sometimes she just couldn't go, but I am telling you, she pooped on command.

So, all this being said, if you worked with your quail, I am sure you could train a quail to use a place in your home or area of their enclosure to do their business.

Wow, that's pretty cool. I've trained chickens, parrots, and even my bearded dragon but I am yet to train my quails. I'm hoping to start soon.

Wow, that's pretty amazing! But first, I want to tame them (they don't run away from my hand, but they don't stand on it yet and always escape if I try to hold them) and maybe teach them to come when called. That would be great. Maybe I will put diapers on them until they get fully tamed and I might start training them after that, just so they don't ruin my carpet. Can you tell me how you taught them to learn their names?

Food! :lol: Just like training a puppy, reward them with food when they acknowledge their name, do what you want them to do or any positive action you want them to remember.

Let me know how the daipers thing works out plz cuz i been wondering about this . I kinda want to train one of the button quail im incubating and i hear and read they poop a lot so a daiper is what i thought and they do sell bird daiper apron things o.o so keep us posted:pop

They sell bird diapers why not
They also sell a human sized hamster wheel...
human-hamster-wheel-craigs-list-1.jpg

Let me know how the daipers thing works out plz cuz i been wondering about this . I kinda want to train one of the button quail im incubating and i hear and read they poop a lot so a daiper is what i thought and they do sell bird daiper apron things o.o so keep us posted:pop
I don't know if I'm going to try it, I mean, it would be good but I didn't really have time yet.

Back
Top Bottom