Is it possible to sex 1 week old chicks? *ADDED PICS*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Blue Hill Farm, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    Central Saskatchewan
    I have 10 little chickies and I'm really curious to know who's gonna be crowing in the not-so-near future. [​IMG]

Nine are EE (I think) and one BR. I'll add pics if it's doable. [​IMG]

Edited for pics: ok, here she ( [​IMG]) is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I had to include Speck, my fav of the bunch. [​IMG] I'm pretty sure he's a roo, because what attitude! lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TIA! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  2. The BR you can probably sex, but the EE's you'll have to wait (at least 6 weeks).

3. Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    Central Saskatchewan
    Dang it! A whole 6 weeks, eh.....that seems like forever! LoL Ah well, what can you do.....[​IMG]

Ok, I'll take a pic of the BR.

4. Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    Central Saskatchewan
    Anyone? [​IMG]

5. chuby

chuby In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    I just got 3 BR and would like to know the same![​IMG]

6. farmerlor

farmerlor Songster

I'd almost go out on a limb and say that BR is a boy but really, it's way too soon for the EEs. Since they usually have the pea combs and no wattles you just can't see anything until they're older.

7. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Crowing

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    There are three things you can look for on BR chicks that can fairly accurately say if they are boys or girls, the dot on the head the legs and Shoot I dont remmber the other one , If I remmber correctly most girls have a small well defined white dot on there head and boys have off colored or what but larger and less defind , then I cant remmber the rest but ask someone like speckledhen and such . good luck

8. Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    Central Saskatchewan
    Ah shucks, it looks like I have a boy judging by the legs (not dark at all) and the fuzzy head spot. I only have the one BR and really needed him to be a her. Here's hoping things change! [​IMG]

Anyhoo, thanks for the help. [​IMG]

9. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    I had read somewhere that the dot on the head on a sex linked meant a boy? And I have been confused ever since! But those look like our girl Dominiques (which I am betting are really BR's)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: