Is it possible to tell if these are roosters? Photos...

festivefeet

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Here are my two "Easter Eggers".

Is it possible to tell if one is a rooster?

POLLY:
IMG_0616.jpg

Polly's Wing Span:
IMG_0633.jpg

MOLLY:
IMG_0631.jpg

Molly's Wing Span:
IMG_0632.jpg

Thanks.
Jessica

I don't know if you can officially feather sex EE's, but I think the rule is that if the feathers are different lengths, it's a pullet. So, looks like Polly may be a girl and Molly may be a Mel
wink.png

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

they both look like females to me.

usually righ from the start a young roo will have a pronounced comb/wattles that is a dead give away.

neither of your chicks have that!

sooo... time will tell otherwise?

good luck!
big_smile.png

I think it is too early to tell. I have 49 chicks (2.5 wks old). We ordered a straight run, so theoretically 50% are roos. Aside from behavior and a few that can either be sexed based on feather color (faverolles), we haven't a clue. All have the same size wattles and combs and they are all still yellow. Sometimes you can't tell until they are 4-6 weeks old.

It's too early to tell and EEs don't usually have wattles anyway. You'll need to look at the combs to see if they are wide and raised up or only a center ridge is showing. BUT, it's too early for that, too.

Is it possible? Probably. But not by me. I'm no good at that stuff.

There are always plenty of folks to avow, "Oh, its this - or that. It's a pullet (or cockerel) for sure" AND you have provided some excellent pics....
but I recommend that if you're indoubt, just wait for about 6-8 weeks. You'll know then.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom