Is it possible to tell the AGE of this gal?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BBQNuggets, Feb 28, 2014.

1. BBQNuggets

BBQNuggets Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2014
    Castle Rock, CO
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Help please! This lovely girl was a rescue, and I've figured out that she's a Sumatra (right??), but I don't know how old she is. Her flight feathers have been trimmed. Is there any way to tell by looking at these pics? She hasn't laid any eggs in the 2 weeks we've had her. Our other birds are being very mean to her, so I'm planning to re-home her, but would like to provide SOME info to any prospective new owners. TIA!

2. BBQNuggets

Feb 19, 2014
    Castle Rock, CO
    [​IMG]

Here's another view of her.

3. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

I don't think that is a Sumatra hen, sorry.

I don't know what comb she has but I think she is defiantly under one year, maybe even not laying age yet.

4. BBQNuggets

Feb 19, 2014
    Castle Rock, CO
    Hmm... Any idea what breed she might be, then? I'm stumped.

5. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

I may be wrong but I think the only colour recognized in Sumatra is black. So that is defiantly not your hen.
    The only thing I can think of is she is a Game looking bantam.

I'm sure some one else will come in soon and be able to help.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's likely a mixed breed, possibly with some game bird in her. What were the conditions of her previous home? If she were truly rescued from someone doing something illegal with the birds, that makes game bird much more likely.

I think she's young, probably around 5ish months. I agree her comb doesn't look developed enough to be laying yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by