Is it possible without air sack?

Wonder Quails

Songster
Oct 22, 2022
Hello!
I was just wondering if eggs(quails) need air sacks to pip. I've
heard they pip through the air sack first, and then the outer shell.
However, my quail eggs don't have an air sack... Will they be able to pip?

thanks

How old are the eggs?
If they're fresh eggs, it could take a day or so for them to develop an egg sac. The sacs are usually formed once the egg is exposed to cooler temperatures causing the inner membrane to shrink somewhat.

19 days old
Ah... are you sure there isn't an egg sac? Sometimes they're really small. If the eggs were handled/jostled a lot, that could have messed up the egg sacs. If the eggs are developing fine otherwise, I would just let them be. You *may* need to assist in hatching, but they could also pull through fine on their own

What should I assist in hatching? Some people say I should *drill* a hole after internal pip! They have been developing good.

What should I assist in hatching? Some people say I should *drill* a hole after internal pip! They have been developing good.
That's pretty much it. Don't assist though unless the baby's show signs of distress or they're past hatch date with no pips... you could accidentally kill the baby.

Still worried though. They are kind of past hatch date. Quails hatch on day 16-20. Tomorrow is day 20 and no signs of pipping. Help! I don't know what to do. They moved a tiny bit but that's all. I got a few pics though of candling

Still worried though. They are kind of past hatch date. Quails hatch on day 16-20. Tomorrow is day 20 and no signs of pipping. Help! I don't know what to do. They moved a tiny bit but that's all. I got a few pics though of candling
Can you send the pics? I would suggest following your gut feeling. I did a diy incubator hatch a few years back but mine didn't make it (I waited too long to assist)

If you were to assist, I would use a sterilized needle to slowly and gently chip away the shell nearest the head of the chick (you'll need to candle) be sure to NOT break the inner membrane and to keep the egg(s) in a CLEAN area. Ripping the membrane when the blood vessels haven't retracted yet can cause fatal bleeding. If the baby is exposed to any bacteria or dirt before it's completely hatched it can die. Keep candling, so long as you can see veining, it's still alive. Best of luck!

#1 I think alive but no air sack
IMG_2266.jpg

Back
Top Bottom