Is it really a big deal to give them the correct stage of food?

babsh

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
Minnesota
I have one 12 week old chick. I am about to run out of chick starter for her. I have 7 other adult hens that I feed layer food.

Do I really have to go buy another 50# bag of chick starter at this point? I know they are supposed to be on it for 16-20 weeks, but I'm wondering if it is that big of a deal to switch her to layer at 12 weeks?

Thanks.

Yes it is. Feeding a chick layer feed too early means giving the body unneeded calcium in which the chick doesn't know what to do with it. It may also cause the bird to lay too early resulting in prolapse. Also, at 12 weeks, the bird still has a lot of growing out to do still. I know they sell feed in 20 lb. bags, but I think it depends on the brand.

Last edited:
We ran ours out of starter food recently and in a pinch (it was Sunday -- most places closed) found a local feed chain store that carries O.H. Kruse pellets.. (not laying food).. Our birds are ~3 months old.. They seem to like it.. I suppose we could have gotten another bag of starter food but would have had them starving while waiting for the feed stores to open on Monday..
sad.png

Quote:
Darn. I figured that might be the case.

There are only 50# bags around here, so I guess I just get another bag and let the "big girls" eat it, too.

Barb

Boo-Boo's Mama :

You could go to Flock Raiser and offer oyster shell for the layers. That is what I'm doing.

I'm not sure what Flock Raiser is. Is that some sort of in-between food? Either way, the store I go to only offers starter and layer.

Barb​

Is your chick food medicated or unmedicated? I have quit giving my 14 week olds medicated chick feed. I want 30 days with unmedicated feed before they start laying. I am going to use Flock Raiser as soon as I find it.

Back
Top Bottom