Is it safe to eat her?

Genipher

Songster
11 Years
Jan 9, 2013
I have a female Muscovy thst started limping about a month ago. She seemed to get better and then I noticed 2 days ago she was having a harder time getting around again.

Last night I had to carry her into the duck house.

Today she can't stand and won't eat.

My husband is going to help me put her down today. It's time.

We got the Muscovies for a meat source but we've never killed or eaten any yet. This is going to be hard.

My main question is, CAN we eat her? I'm assuming she won't eat because of her leg...my other Muscovies are happy and healthy...but if she IS sick, would she still be safe to process?

Editing to add: She has also been acting depressed since her "sister" hatched out ducklings last November. She hangs out alone and won't bathe. But up til now, she's been eating just fine.

Last edited:
In respect to the original question; I personally choose not to eat sick birds, and would advise others to do the same unless the cause of the symptoms has been establised, and clarified as safe.

If you wish to help her, I suggest bring her in, and set her in a warm area (80F) (watch for signs of overheating such as panting, or wings held away from the body). Birds in an anorexic state have a decreased metabolic heat output and are often unable to maintain normothermia. After she is warm, she should be hydrated with fluids, then given food to address her malnourished state. Although not the most preferred route for a bird in such a state, tube feeding supplies can be easy to aquire and will help maintain her hydration and nutritional status.

For tube feeding, one should have a large syringe (60ml), gram scale, parrot baby feeding formula, or gamebird feed, and lastly tubing; for tubing, a red rubber catheter 18 french size works best for waterfowl, but in a pinch, one could use aquarium tubing, with the tip melted down to prevent esophageal damage. Here is some additional information on the topic:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

So sorry for you loss! Its so hard, you never understand who much you really love them until they are gone.
Just remember you didn't fail her. She knew she was loved, and you did everything you knew to do, you did everything right. Sometimes, that's just all you can do.
Big hugs! Try not to beat yourself up, it happens. *Hugs and more hugs* :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom