Is it safe to eat her?

Genipher

Songster
11 Years
Jan 9, 2013
I have a female Muscovy thst started limping about a month ago. She seemed to get better and then I noticed 2 days ago she was having a harder time getting around again.

Last night I had to carry her into the duck house.

Today she can't stand and won't eat.

My husband is going to help me put her down today. It's time.

We got the Muscovies for a meat source but we've never killed or eaten any yet. This is going to be hard.

My main question is, CAN we eat her? I'm assuming she won't eat because of her leg...my other Muscovies are happy and healthy...but if she IS sick, would she still be safe to process?

Editing to add: She has also been acting depressed since her "sister" hatched out ducklings last November. She hangs out alone and won't bathe. But up til now, she's been eating just fine.

Last edited:
Are you still interested in saving her if others can offer advice, or are you set on the cull?
Well, we got them for meat/eggs. I dont think my husband would want to invest a lot of money in her...he's also avoiding going out to cull.

What were your suggestions?

Edit: I tried bringing her in, a week or so ago, and let her swim in a warm bath. Gave her more peas, which she loves. Thats when she started to improve. But now she won't even eat peas...

Back
Top Bottom