Is it safe to eat her?

Well, we got them for meat/eggs. I dont think my husband would want to invest a lot of money in her...he's also avoiding going out to cull.

What were your suggestions?

Edit: I tried bringing her in, a week or so ago, and let her swim in a warm bath. Gave her more peas, which she loves. Thats when she started to improve. But now she won't even eat peas...
I'll tag some experts, we'll see what they say. @Miss Lydia @Isaac 0
Who long has she not been eating? Can you make her food a mash offer that to her, maybe by spooning some into her beak? What peas were you offering? Fresh peas, frozen canned peas? If they were fresh and hard, it may have been to difficult for her to eat them, so she decided not to.

In respect to the original question; I personally choose not to eat sick birds, and would advise others to do the same unless the cause of the symptoms has been establised, and clarified as safe.

If you wish to help her, I suggest bring her in, and set her in a warm area (80F) (watch for signs of overheating such as panting, or wings held away from the body). Birds in an anorexic state have a decreased metabolic heat output and are often unable to maintain normothermia. After she is warm, she should be hydrated with fluids, then given food to address her malnourished state. Although not the most preferred route for a bird in such a state, tube feeding supplies can be easy to aquire and will help maintain her hydration and nutritional status.

For tube feeding, one should have a large syringe (60ml), gram scale, parrot baby feeding formula, or gamebird feed, and lastly tubing; for tubing, a red rubber catheter 18 french size works best for waterfowl, but in a pinch, one could use aquarium tubing, with the tip melted down to prevent esophageal damage. Here is some additional information on the topic:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

I'll tag some experts, we'll see what they say. @Miss Lydia @Isaac 0
Who long has she not been eating? Can you make her food a mash offer that to her, maybe by spooning some into her beak? What peas were you offering? Fresh peas, frozen canned peas? If they were fresh and hard, it may have been to difficult for her to eat them, so she decided not to.
Frozen peas that I thawed overnight. So they were soft. Usually she gobbles them up. She just started this morning with not eating.

I keep checking her leg. It's not warm. Nothing wrong with her actual foot (that I can tell).

Last time I let her swim in the tub, she wasn't using the leg to paddle around.

Oh, and she's not able to stand, so she hadn't been drinking. I tried taking her to her food and water but she refused both.

Back
Top Bottom