Is it safe to feed gosling cut grass?

pinksapphire

Songster
10 Years
Sep 22, 2013
I have a two month old gosling with three runner ducklings, they are living in a pen on grass but I need to move them to a bigger area, it is full of weeds, nettles, dock, plantain ect but very little grass, I can cut grass daily with the lawnmower is this safe to feed?

Attachments

• D6F1A95B-CF00-4515-BCB8-63D22CFE7887.jpeg
    D6F1A95B-CF00-4515-BCB8-63D22CFE7887.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
Cut grass can be too big plus lawns tend to have chemicals.
I created the lawns 13 years ago and never used any chemicals, my garden is 100% organic, I would be cutting short grass so would be fine clippings, what do you think ok then?

Will you use a power lawnmower? I tried that and didn’t get any clippings at all. But maybe that was just my mower…Now I use my great grandpa’s old reel lawnmower and that works wonderfully.

It depends on the type grass in the lawn. Also on the freshness since grass can mold. so just a few questions to ask yourself.
Do you have tall fescue in your lawn (it inhibits growth and development) Will you spread it lightly so it dosent mold or give them only what they want. Are there weeds that can be toxic in the mix of clippings.
Just a few things to think about. Yes have a friend who cuts blue grass lawns and fed the clippings to the geese, did stop it this year. since non of the lawns he was cutting used herbicides. Iv spent at least 20 min a day pulling goat heads out of the area I use to feed in and there pasture.
So yes you can do it just a few things to think about...
My geese loved it every saturday when the grass showed up. This year I had a little pasture grass it was there preference.

If electric or old-fashioned clippers, should be just fine. I was told not good to feed grass cut with gas lawnmower due to the exhaust/residue. With that said, my geese always gravitate to the fresh mowed areas in my yard to graze, and never had an issue,

I wouldn't cut grass and purposely feed it ever.
If they nibble on a little themselves it should be fine.
Cutting it and offering it could cause problems like blocked crops.

I wouldn't cut grass and purposely feed it ever.
If they nibble on a little themselves it should be fine.
Cutting it and offering it could cause problems like blocked crops.
Does this include adult geese (that is to say, fifteen weeks) too? I give them clipped grass in addition to their pellets when they have to stay in the run all day.

Does this include adult geese (that is to say, fifteen weeks) too? I give them clipped grass in addition to their pellets when they have to stay in the run all day.
I wouldn't purposely cut any grass to give to any bird ever.

Back
Top Bottom