Is it safe to use lime in the chicken coop?

Sounds like some mixed messages here on this thread but I've been using the hydrated lime in my coop for years and in my cattle barns even longer with no ill effect. I use it on the floor of my coop at every big cleanout prior to putting down the wood shavings (I use the deep shaving method) I don't put it on top because as an airborne dust, it can be a lung irritant. If you're using to to dry up the litter, you probably actually need more ventilation. I also use it to make whitewash which I use to paint the whole inside of the coop and all roosts. This has been my primary pest control for mites and lice as well as being a great coop disinfectant.

I use powdered "AG Lime" $3 and "Red Lake Earth" $14 (looks like sand, food DE mixed with clay) in my runs and under the coops (I don't have coops with floors). I also use the RLE anywhere my free range chickens frequently take dust bath. I live on sand (lucky me, no mud, its like a sponge) so I DO NOT use any pine shavings OR hay of anykind in the runs (only nest boxes and brooders, pine and grass).
When people come to visit or to buy from me, they are always suprised that there is NO smell arround by place. I will usually add a little food grade DE to the RLE to make it stronger. But because the DE is so expensive, I usually only do that for the bath spots. I also dust their layer feed with a little RLE, I think it helps make the poo smell less to start with.

So, I think the point might be - if you do use the hydrated lime, maybe cover it with woodshavings or other bedding before letting the chickens back in? There seem to be plenty of people using the product with no I'll effect....

I guess I'll see what my shop carries. The DE is expensive!

Well guys and girls, we live on a mangy cold and wet rock called the UK. I am rather new to chicken keeping. I started in March 2012, built the coop and bought my girls from a fellow called George Gobber locally known as Chicken George. He told me the 5 most important things to do to have healthy birds.
1. Build your coop like you are going to live in it.
2. Insulate the coop with 4 inchs of loft wool and studded walls. I used 18mm ply to line it
3. lime wash it with 4 coats of hydrated lime,
4. Put a heavy dusting of hydrated lime in all the corners of nest boxes and nooks and crannies
5. In the coop put a good foot of dust free shavings and mix in a pint of hydrated lime per square metre as the chicks make a dust baths in the shavings. it protects them from red mite. Lots of shavings makes it easier to clean out. just take out the mucky stuff and replace with clean shavings.
When you muck them out about every 3 days throw hydrated lime on top of what is left in there and put clean on top after 5 weeks add a a another 6//7 inches of shavings and throw in a 1 pint lime per metre.
In the run every week or so when you put the girls to bed get a bag of hydrated lime and put a thick coating over the soil. Leave over night and in the morning dig it in well and let them out. This has well, in fact, couldn't be better. Give it a go!

It's winter here and I still have 100% egg laying just doing what a old boy said worked best.

regards gonk

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
idunno.gif

We have used sweet pdz in the hen house. But it is expensive for the 15 # bag. Maybe we should try the stall dry, we could get a larger bag at a better price.? We are wanting to cut down the smell and wet areas in the coop and run. Anyone have any more ideas that would work for us. Now we are using wood shavings with the sweet pdz spread under the shavings.
Thanks for any input.

Hi,
Did you like the results from the stall dry product. We are still wondering what to use.
We may use the ag lime in the outside run/coop combo and maybe the stall dry in
the inside hen house that has wooden floors.
Thanks for your help.

I wish someone would answer this. We got torrential rains here near Houston and the chicken yard got flooded. Now it's a smelly, fly-ridden mess. Lime seems like a solution - but is it safe? Maybe they know at the feed store.

Back
Top Bottom