Is it time to make floppy dumplings?

For the most part I eat vegetarian-(not out of choice but because of medical reasons)-and all I can eat is chicken. I once was a vegetarian but now I know that there is a natural order to things and chickens are one of those perfect creatures God provided to us, its a low maintenance animal that give us eggs, is self-sufficient and provides meat. It was hard to realize when we got our first chickens that these cute little things we loved and cried over when they died were actually food. But they are food! And thats what I have to keep telling myself and my daughter. When we went to eat our first roosters, it took me several months to get to that point, they stayed in the freezer but one day I pulled them out and guess what, they were CHICKEN, no different than what you buy at the store. Chickens were created for us to eat them thats the natural order of things.

I know some people have 'pet chickens' but most others have dual purpose chickens to feed their families. If an animal of any kind, dog, cat or whatever is attacking a child, that animal gets put down, why not a chicken? THe difference is that you can eat the chicken. Chickens are cute, they have personalities and have feelings but end the end they are food.

I also agree that it feels disrespectful to me to bury the animal. I know this might sound crazy but the more I think about it, the more disrespectful it is. And I'm starting to feel this way more and more about anyone who would criticize someone for living as an omnivore, because my mom starved when she was young. To tell someone that it's more ethical to put food in the ground than it is to feed hungry people...I'll stop that thought there. I can't abide that line of reasoning.

Xtina.. so far i have agreed with everything you have said...

i would also like to add..
#1 if you belive in a christian/ jewish GOD,, then he says it is OK to eat meat,, even tells us what we can or can not eat... (i dont know about other religions)

#2 if you beleive in evolution... then the shape of our TEETH should tell you we humans are MENT to be omnivores... we have canine teeth for ripping and chewing flesh...

i dont want to get into the whole vegan thing because my thoughts on the subject WILL offend... so i wont say anything

As an aside...Floppy's fate has yet to be determined. I've decided that for now I'm going to make him stay in the run (no more free-ranging for him.) and make my daughter stay out of the run. I am the only person in our family that he hasn't tried to spur, but my husband met Floppy's challenge with a very large walking stick across the back. My daughter is now terrified of the animal and just freezes if he is near. Advice, anyone?

I joke & say that I quit the whole vegan thing because of vanity, and that is partly true. Mostly I quit because I drove by Hardees one day and those danged cheeseburgers smelled so good. Plus I realized that almost everything, as has been stated before, has cost animals their lives.

I am also a person who believes that God put animals here for us. We are to be stewards, which means we shouldn't be killing animals for kicks and we shouldn't waste the blessing (throwing the animal away or burying it.)

I certainly don't try to discourage any one from trying the whole veg thing. It can be very interesting and often produces some amazing methane eruptions!

Ha! Methane.
I think you started this thread to talk about the rooster's fate and I ungraciously hijacked it to talk about food politics, so maybe we shouldn't keep talking about meat and quitting meat. Plus, today is the first day of lent, so I can basically be called a vegan for a while, haha.

I agree with you though about stewardship being key. That's why I disagree with sport hunting. And it's not just stewardship during the animal's death, but stewardship during their lives, because these are God's creatures and I bet he doesn't like to see them suffer. So they should get the happiest life possible, the most humane death possible, and the most enjoyment out of the dinner they create possible. And for pete's sake don't waste any. Anyhow, that's how I was raised. Yes, it is possible to love animals and eat them.

If it were me, I'd eat the rooster just to ease your daughter's fears, but that might not be enough reason for you, and I could understand that.

No worries XTina. I got my answers, so if this thread went or goes way off topic, I'm okay with that!

I think it's interesting to read about the reasoning for both sides, since I've been on both sides. And I have the butt-burns to show for it
lol.png

yes "farm" animals.. BUT movies like bambi and/or "BABE" human-ise these creatures,, and then they become PETS... and pets are part of the family,,, then pets become AS important as family.... ect..
so people stop eating them...

Well a pet or not, I wouldn't eat my old rooster if I had to kill him. There's old rooster meat and then there's tender young chicken meat, and I know the difference and could not bring myself to eat something tough as shoeleather. I was brought up that way - not to eat anything past it's prime. Yes I'd bury it.
There is a reason for big game hunting too. You'll change your mind about hunting when you hit a herd of deer or a moose. Their numbers have to be controlled to prevent diseases and also lessen crop damage.

Last edited:
old tough bird.... thats what CROCK POTS were invented FOR!!! right???
cook on really low heat for 1 1/2 days that bird will fall apart...can you say mole' (spicy mexican dish) good for cooking old birds..

i am all for game hunting.. i dont like venison,, but if i was hungry i would learn to like it real quick!!!
i would love to try moose and elk and wild boar!!!!
and i want to hunt turkey!!!!

Back
Top Bottom