Is it too cold for a hen to hatch out eggs

cocopop

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 12, 2013
California
I have a hen laying eggs and it has been cold in the mornings. The coldest is about 49 degrees in the morning in California. The nest box is in a partially covered outside coop. Will the chick development be jeopardized when the hen gets off to stretch and eat for 45 minutes? Please advise!

They'll be fine. If there is sufficient bedding, it will still be near 100 under her.
Because hens have been getting off the nest daily forever, they seem to benefit from short cooling periods. The contents stay warm quite a while.
They seem to stay off longer in hot weather and less in cool weather. I think they know what they're doing.
I have two broody hens now and it has gotten into the 40s at night here.
This may help
http://www.brinsea.com/customerservice/poweroff.html

If it makes you feel any better, your winter is the same temps as my summer
big_smile.png

No problem at all with incubating.

Three nights ago I slipped 2 chicks I hatched in the incubator under a broody pullet. It was below freezing that night and was down to about 27 this morning. The chicks are fine.
After I looked at my notes I realized the chicks were from the eggs I took from the same broody after she had been sitting on them a few days. I was planning on breaking her since she had only been laying for about a week before setting. I guess I should have let her keep them.

Three nights ago I slipped 2 chicks I hatched in the incubator under a broody pullet. It was below freezing that night and was down to about 27 this morning. The chicks are fine.
After I looked at my notes I realized the chicks were from the eggs I took from the same broody after she had been sitting on them a few days. I was planning on breaking her since she had only been laying for about a week before setting. I guess I should have let her keep them.
Aren't they a panic............going to have things their way no matter what we think.
Sounds like a good plan..........
big_smile.png

I worried about this too. If it makes you feel better, here in Kentucky we've had a cold snap...28° & 29° lows for the last week. I have my first broody hen hatching eggs today, even taking them out of the box and showing them how to eat mealworms from my hand. The chicks followed her lead and after a few minutes outside, cuddled under her for a little, until she called them back to the box. Tonight, out of 7 eggs, 3 have hatched fine, one didn't make it through a very tough membrane, and she is still sitting on 3 eggs. Good luck with yoUr hatch!

Back
Top Bottom