Is it too

Jean Giese

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
I have a Silkie hen setting on the nest. She has hatched out 5 babies so far. I can hear at least one of the remaining eggs peeping or chirping inside the egg, but no sign of a crack or hole. Should I try to bring the hen and eggs into the house where it's warmer to let her finish hatching. Would she even stay on the nest if I moved it? It will be below freezing again tonight.

Jean

funny, i just had a silkie hatch 2 babies out today. i didnt know she was sitting at first but she was in the coop exposed to some freezing temps. i did pick her, her eggs and some of the surrounding nest materials up and put them in my pole barn with a heat lamp. one of my brooders. she never stopped sitting but with that being said, if she has hatched some already she should finish up ok. i would wonder if you moved her now if she wouldnt just leave the nest to protect the new babies. mine hadnt hatched any yet.guess you could pull the babies and she would likely continue sitting. seems like a lot of work. would just try a heat light close by if you can.

Back
Top Bottom