It's all personal preference. A lot of people don't, but a lot of people do too.

Personally I think it's disgusting putting eggs which have been on the filthy ground and covered on feces near other foods or near where I cook. But again, it's personal preference.

Some people claim unwashed eggs are "cleaner"...I'm personally skeptical.

It's all personal preference. A lot of people don't, but a lot of people do too.

Personally I think it's disgusting putting eggs which have been on the filthy ground and covered on feces near other foods or near where I cook. But again, it's personal preference.

Some people claim unwashed eggs are "cleaner"...I'm personally skeptical.
x2

I wipe them not wash them then they go in a basket on a counter. We get too many eggs for just us. Once you wash them there's no protection against bacteria entering the egg and they dont last as long. We have eggs for over a month at room temp before we eat them. Never had a problem.

But!! We do wash them before cracking them open if that's what you're asking.

I wipe them not wash them then they go in a basket on a counter. We get too many eggs for just us. Once you wash them there's no protection against bacteria entering the egg and they dont last as long. We have eggs for over a month at room temp before we eat them. Never had a problem.

But!! We do wash them before cracking them open if that's what you're asking.
Me as well.... No wash unless time to use. though I do wash the dirtiest then use them that day.

By the way you can wash batches then crack and scramble then freeze in icecube trays then pop the cubes out into plastic bags... Good for baking and scrambled eggsise....

deb

I either heard this or I dreamed it.......some people prefer not to wash freshly layed eggs before they eat them. Is it true, and if it is what is the rationale? Sounds like an old wives tale to me!
I don't wash eggs before I eat them as long as they're clean. The rationale is "Why bother making extra work for myself when they aren't dirty?"

If they are clean, not washing them preserves the natural 'bloom' of the egg which helps keep bacteria out. It's also the best option if you are storing them at room temperature. I keep washed eggs in the fridge.

Once you wash an egg, it has to be refrigerated. I have a separate mini fridge for eggs, dog treats, dog food, bird treats, etc that is in my basement close to the coop. Dirty eggs get wiped off, very dirty eggs get washed and put in that fridge, and clean eggs (especially if I'm about to cook something or use them quickly) go unwashed into a skelter on my kitchen island.

I may or may not wash those before I eat them, because they're already clean and I'm pretty darn good at cracking eggs to put into a bowl/pan these days without getting shell in it. It is also easier for me to take unrefrigerated eggs to work for coworkers, who can then wash/fridge them all they want (or not) when they get them home. I usually never put my quail eggs in the fridge, since quail can't carry salmonella anyway, and use those for any kind of recipe that calls for raw eggs. (Spaghetti carbonara is awesome with fresh quail eggs.)

Back
Top Bottom