Is it wet fowl pox, trichomoniasis, LT???

I do have a rooster that only has a couple spots and seems fine, @chickenlover28, but then I did have a rooster a couple weeks ago get a ton of scabs on his comb, you could tell he felt pretty bad. He even stopped crowing

Tylan would be ineffective since fowl pox is a virus and canker is a protozoa. Tylan is geared more toward bacterial respiratory diseases.
She was already using Tylan before she first posted, for secondary infections of possible wet pox. I just told her to give a higher dose according to the weight of the bird. Since she has some dry pox already, do you think she should continue treatment for the wet pox, or do you think it is canker, and she should start treating with metronidazole or fishzole? I think a picture might help also.

Regarding Sassybirds situation: Tylan treats mycoplasma diseases; MG and MS. Do you suspect either disease? If I suspected a secondary bacterial infection, I'd recommend baytril or maybe cipro instead of tylan. I believe she is dealing with wet pox since her birds had dry pox. The lesions can be removed but there will be bleeding. Then use a q-tip with iodine and swab where the lesions were removed. Lesions will block the esophagus preventing the bird from swallowing food, birds can starve to death. Birds will have to be tube fed in order to recover as Casportpony had to do to keep her infected birds alive. Keep in mind that if lesions are in the trachea/respiratory tract, there's not much that can be done.

Last edited:

Regarding Sassybirds situation: Tylan treats mycoplasma diseases; MG and MS. Do you suspect either disease? If I suspected a secondary bacterial infection, I'd recommend baytril or maybe cipro instead of tylan. I believe she is dealing with wet pox since her birds had dry pox. The lesions can be removed but there will be bleeding. Then use a q-tip with iodine and swab where the lesions were removed. Lesions will block the esophagus preventing the bird from swallowing food, birds can starve to death. Birds will have to be tube fed in order to recover as Casportpony had to do to keep her infected birds alive. Keep in mind that if lesions are in the trachea/respiratory tract, there's not much that can be done.
Thanks Dawg.

Hey guys! Update: I started tube feeding the hen yesterday. I also removed as much of the lesions as I could and treated said areas with betadine. Are the lesions supposed to be difficult to remove? She seemed to perk up a little after I tube fed her, hopefully things will work out for her. I have yet to check on her this morning...fingers crossed! The reason for the thread title is because the diseases seemed to present very similarity when read about. LT is def ruled out now...I would just like to know the difference between canker and wet fowl pox. I would think that if it's canker that the other birds that shared a pen with it would also have it, since they share a drinker?

Just trying to cover all my bases. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
The birds poop is greener than usual. It's almost normal consistency, maybe a little loose. Does this mean it's canker? Or can she have green poop cuz she's sick? Ahhhh so confused! :(

Hey guys! Update: I started tube feeding the hen yesterday. I also removed as much of the lesions as I could and treated said areas with betadine. Are the lesions supposed to be difficult to remove? She seemed to perk up a little after I tube fed her, hopefully things will work out for her. I have yet to check on her this morning...fingers crossed! The reason for the thread title is because the diseases seemed to present very similarity when read about. LT is def ruled out now...I would just like to know the difference between canker and wet fowl pox. I would think that if it's canker that the other birds that shared a pen with it would also have it, since they share a drinker?

Just trying to cover all my bases. Thanks guys!
Some of mine sure where hard to remove. I used a combo of tweezers and q-tips to get it out of my birds. Just keep removing the plaque and tubing, your bird should recover. I say "should" because I did lose a few of them, but they had a slightly different form that infiltrated the tissues and bone, that pus I could not remove and the swelling/infection got worse every day. Those birds where also treated with metronidazole and/or Baytril, but nothing helped.

Not sure what breed your hen is, but my medium sized hens where tube fed about 120ml of baby bird food twice a day. I'm not suggesting that you tube that much, just keep it in mind and maybe try adding a little more at each feeding until you feel you have reached the max for your hen.

In the end I lost three to wet pox and three to dry pox. The ones that had dry pox might have had something else that I couldn't see, but all were very thin by the time I found them, so I think they just starved to death. Not sure how many total I had, but it was a lot, lol, and even though it was very time consuming, it was a great learning experience.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy. It sure is a learning experience. She is a speckled sussex, and was very robust before. And quite hefty. She has lost quite a bit of weight. I don't have any baby bird food, but have been giving her about 60-80ccs of chick starter mixed with water. Was hoping that the extra protein would help. There was a moment yesterday where she gulped down a couple bites of food, but then gasped like it really hurt her. I spoke to a local poultry vet today and he is going to call me in some Amoxicillin (sp?) to give her for any secondary infection. I have been giving Tylan previously and yogurt to try to offset the gut upset. When I treated her this morning an eye was stuck shut. There is a lot of what I assume is pus (it's kinda viscous and almost clear to opaque) in her nostril area and coming out from around her eyes.

I honestly can't believe she is still alive. She looks awful. This is around day 7 or so for her so hopefully she will be on the mend soon.

Check the cleft in the roof of her mouth and make sure there's no pus in it... A few of mine developed full blown sinus infections that they still have not fully recovered from and several lost eyes from it.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom