Is Jill a Jack #2?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lareebell, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lareebell

Lareebell In the Brooder

Sep 14, 2019
    San Diego, Ca
    They were hatched this past April. The definite brown rooster one is more dominant of the two. The silver one crows some but not as much or as loud as he does. It’s just the 2 of them, but I want to introduce younger hens. Also where is the rehoming forum?
    It’s so hard to find a home for Roos!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  2. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Songster

Oct 3, 2013
    California
    Both roosters. His crowing should have been an indicator lol

Lareebell likes this.
  3. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    featheredplanets and Lareebell like this.
  4. Lareebell

Lareebell In the Brooder

Sep 14, 2019
    San Diego, Ca
    Yes! But I was told she could mimick him since it’s just the two of them. She is not as loud or doesn’t crow like he does. This is from a feed store owner, around chickens all the time. It’s confusing. Jill is smaller, no wattle or big cone, but feathers look like a Roo. Ugh

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    You have 2 cockerels, the feathers are the obvious giveaway. You won't see a big comb on the silver bird as it has a pea or rose comb, which sits lower and smaller. Your feed store contact is unfortunately wrong.

6. Lareebell

Lareebell In the Brooder

Sep 14, 2019
    San Diego, Ca
    I was so hopeful that my suspicions were wrong. We have 3 young hens to introduce. The big cone one is the alpha of the two. If I keep the rose cone one, maybe he will be louder by himself with hens? I need to rehome one of the ASAP. I don’t how the dynamics with change with rooster and hens together. They are mellow. Rose cone one so mellow, thinking’s he’s a hen. The big one will chase my son sometimes coming out of the coop.

7. featheredplanets

featheredplanets Crowing

Nov 28, 2017
    UK
    Definitely keep the quieter cockerel. You don’t want aggressive males, especially around young people.

Lareebell likes this.
  8. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Definitely both cockerels there!

Personally I'd keep the quieter more mellow male in your future flock :)

9. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Keep in mind the "quiet" mellow one may change his behavior once the more dominant bird is gone.

As far as the dominant bird, he needs to be broken of his bad habits ASAP or rehomed/culled at once, if he's chasing your son around.

Lareebell likes this.
  10. Lareebell

Lareebell In the Brooder

Sep 14, 2019
    San Diego, Ca
    He chases when he opens the coop for some reason. Yes, if I rehome 1 of them it will be interesting how Jill will act.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: