Is meat swapping legal?

Hummingbird Hollow

Songster
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Colorado mountains
I know there are regulations about selling butchered chickens, but I'm wondering if they apply to swapping. I started posting an add on Craigs List offering to trade pastured chicken for elk or venison (it's hunting season here in Colorado). Does anyone know whether this would get me in trouble?

Hah, just because pot is legal doesn't mean everything goes. It just recently became legal to own chickens within city limits and until December it was illegal to have a rain barrel. Pot? Yes! Rain collection? No!

Not being from CO I really don't know...but I can't think in a state where marijuana is legal, swapping meat would illegal. It might all be in the phrasing. Here is the link to the Colorado Big Game Regulations. http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf
Page 18 says harvested game can be donated. I saw nothing about swapping or trading. Maybe you could "donate" some processed chickens to the hunter and the hunter could "donate" some wild game meat to you?? Might be best to contact a resource officer/game warden for a definitive answer. Good luck!

I'm guessing it's fine. Bartering isn't as regulated as trading paper money for things.

That said, I wouldn't post it on CL just because that's inviting scrutiny from busybody bureaucrats intent on protecting you from yourself.

I'm guessing it's fine. Bartering isn't as regulated as trading paper money for things.

That said, I wouldn't post it on CL just because that's inviting scrutiny from busybody bureaucrats intent on protecting you from yourself.
I kinda thought the same thing, that I'd be inviting problems if I posted on Craigs List. I've been trading my chickens and turkeys for goat, pork and beef for several years but I don't know anyone who might trade me some venison or elk and I'd really love to all some to my freezer. Maybe a note on the bulletin board of some sporting goods store...any ideas?

I kinda thought the same thing, that I'd be inviting problems if I posted on Craigs List.  I've been trading my chickens and turkeys for goat, pork and beef for several years but I don't know anyone who might trade me some venison or elk and I'd really love to all some to my freezer.  Maybe a note on the bulletin board of some sporting goods store...any ideas?

Word of mouth. ?

I'd call and ask a game warden. That way you'll know where you stand and your mind can rest easy.

Hah, just because pot is legal doesn't mean everything goes. It just recently became legal to own chickens within city limits and until December it was illegal to have a rain barrel. Pot? Yes! Rain collection? No!

From Oregon, another legal pot state---the water truck business has gone through the roof here! Guess those pot plants are thirsty things, and not everyone gets water rights with their property
roll.png

In Denver I understand it is almost impossible to find empty warehouse spaces to rent because they've all been turned into greenhouses.

Not to get too off topic, but we are frustrated beyond belief at trying to purchase a small homestead here. Where I live they can grow outdoors, so all the small averages are snapped up before we can even get out to look at them. Growers are literally buying property sight unseen. Something tells me the voters didn't think this through.... Or all the "trimmigrants" who come through in the fall and work under the table. I shouldn't even get started, I'm pretty bitter about the whole thing right now.

There are always unforseen consequences of this kind of thing. The Colorado law allows for a lot of local control so individual governmental agencies like cities, counties or towns can opt out or put limits on the number of medical pot or recreational pot outlets as well as grow operations. Perhaps your state law needs some tweaking. I can understand your frustrations in trying to purchase a property for someting more holistic than pot growing.

Back
Top Bottom