Is my “guaranteed pullet” a Rooster?

LonesomeMountainMomma

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2024
Hi! We are very new to backyard chickens and got two guaranteed Easter Egger pullets from a nearby farm 3 weeks ago. We just wanted two hens to live in a fairly small but appropriately enclosed coop for two. I am increasingly worried one of my “hens” might be a rooster as they grow. Particularly due to the tail feathers she/he is growing in. Pictures attached. Can anyone tell me if my hen might actually be a rooster? We have no idea what to do with a rooster and one Hen and are starting to panic.
IMG_2134.jpeg
IMG_2120.jpeg
IMG_2129.jpeg

He's a beautiful rooster! As for what to do, if you want to keep him, you would want a bigger space and a few more hens, if not, I'd first talk to the farm to see if they'll take him back, if not you can either find him a home or process him. I think either way you're going to need to get another hen, 2+ if you raise them from chicks else your other bird will get lonely. Don't think the farmer was trying to trick you either, vent sexing is only about 90% accurate and you got one of the 10%

Hi! We are very new to backyard chickens and got two guaranteed Easter Egger pullets from a nearby farm 3 weeks ago. We just wanted two hens to live in a fairly small but appropriately enclosed coop for two. I am increasingly worried one of my “hens” might be a rooster as they grow. Particularly due to the tail feathers she/he is growing in. Pictures attached. Can anyone tell me if my hen might actually be a rooster? We have no idea what to do with a rooster and one Hen and are starting to panic.View attachment 3806144View attachment 3806146View attachment 3806147
That’s a rooster. If I was you, I would do some chicken math. Go to the store to get 5 hens, come home with 11 and four random chicks because you just couldn’t leave without them, and realize that you are a farmer and this is your life now. That’s just me though, you’re probably going to have more self control than I have. I went to the store to get one Plymouth Barred Rock chick(only hatched 2 and then the second one died), left with that one………….. and two Bearded Americana.

Honestly though, a 2 bird flock isn't best anyways 'cause if one gets sick and needs to be separated or dies, the other will be alone and chickens can die of loneliness. Aside from that, 2 birds isn't enough for them to fully express proper flock behavior. Yes, 2 birds will keep each other company, but they're best off with more friends. 3-4 would be what I'd consider a good minimum flock size

He's a beautiful rooster! As for what to do, if you want to keep him, you would want a bigger space and a few more hens, if not, I'd first talk to the farm to see if they'll take him back, if not you can either find him a home or process him. I think either way you're going to need to get another hen, 2+ if you raise them from chicks else your other bird will get lonely. Don't think the farmer was trying to trick you either, vent sexing is only about 90% accurate and you got one of the 10%
I agree with this, if they were guaranteed pullets, then the farm should be willing to switch him out for a pullet for you.

Back
Top Bottom