Is my 4 week old barred rock a rooster?

AddictingChickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 9, 2010
westford, MA
please confirm my 4 week old is a rooster. my other one that hatched the same day has a defined black spot on "her" head and the other "roo?" has a black blotch. I have someone getting my rooster TODAY but now I am second guessing his sex.. He has pink tinge to "his" comb and the other one does not. Please help!!

full Body
-

There is pink in "his" comb (on left- sister on right)

HOWEVER, their barring looks the same - BUT maybe the one on the left (i think is a roo) is more defined and he has a blotch on his head and not a perfect little dark patch as the one on the right.

Press control "+" to increase picture size for a better look.
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!

Last edited:
I've never had a barred rock chick, male or female, with a white head like that. They all had solid black heads with varying degree's of a white spot on the back depending on male/female. Is it possible they are something else? Or mixed? Normally I'd say that the amount of white barring indicates male, I'm just really thrown off by those white heads.
idunno.gif
Sorry to not be of much help. Hopefully you'll get a BR expert to chime in here!

Thank you all for such quick responses! I told the person to come back in a few weeks.....your advice is what I needed to here - I wouldn't want to steer someone down the wrong path!
Thanks again my friends at BYC!!!

I've never had a barred rock chick, male or female, with a white head like that. They all had solid black heads with varying degree's of a white spot on the back depending on male/female. Is it possible they are something else? Or mixed? Normally I'd say that the amount of white barring indicates male, I'm just really thrown off by those white heads.
idunno.gif
Sorry to not be of much help. Hopefully you'll get a BR expert to chime in here!
x2 I was thinking the same thing!

I just hatched some BRs, and have seen plenty of them in my life, and haven't seen a Barred Rock chick that looks like either of those two chicks.

My Barred Rock chicks are black with a white belly, a white spot on the front of their neck, white tipped wings, and a white spot or sploch on their head.

Here is one of mine, with one of my Rhode Island Red chicks.

Hmmm, the only black and white hens I have are:
Two Barred Plymouth Rocks (one is a bantam) or from my Wyandotte.
The Rooster is an old English bantam hen.
Can I post another picture in a week to see if any of you could maybe help me determine what they are since they would have grown a bit and gained more color?
UGH!!

Thanks BYC!

Back
Top Bottom