is my 4 week old chick dying??

uber

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
kirkby,knowsley
hi i am new to this site and fairly new to keeping chickens.i need information or some advice on my baby chick i got 2 babys now 4 weeks old one died last week unexpectingly and now this one is sick.her breathing is bad i can hear her crackle and her nose is running.she keeps gasping for air and finds it hard to fall asleep.she is still eating and drinking and constantly making lots of noise.i av become so attached to this baby i really do think it thinks im her mum by her behaviour.i have a heat lamp on her which i bought last night.i was using a 60 watt bulb before this.
i have 4 hens outside which two i got of a friend who says they are ex battery,they are both sneezing and havnt laid an egg since i got them 3-4 weeks ago.one has always been lathargic and seems depressed since i got them both.i dont know what else i need to tell you please say she isnt going to die its making me so depressed i keep crying thinking its my fault.please someone advice me please.thanks moe.xx

Clearly your chickens are sick. Your chick will most likely die sometime today. Your girls need medication. I don't know what kind though. There's a lot of harsh realities involved with chicken raising. Good luck.

she is in my hands now,her eyes keep closing but she wont let me put her down all her eyes are wet and she is gasping again.she went ok for a couple hours but seems bad again.she has had sum water but squeeks louldy for me to pick her up again.im so upset watching this process its so unfair,we both really do have a close bond already its unreal.

With the other gone, she is likely lonely on top of being sick. Chickens are very social, and do not like to be alone at all. I would get her some friends and see how she does. Though in case she is sick you might keep them separated in the brooder at first, but at least let her see them to see that she is not alone. Chickens can die from loneliness, they need buddies!

Can you give us some details on what you are feeding the chicks and the older hens, and how old are the hens? Hens greatest egg production is within their first 3 years, mostly first 2, they slow down considerably on their egg producing after that, and stop altogether when they get old. So perhaps your new Hens are just old.

At least you are comforting the poor baby. Keep it warm and cuddled. Do you have electrolytes in the water? You are a good mama because you care. I wish I could tell you how to help, but it does not sound good. I am new too, and no expert, but I wanted to say that I wish you the best.
hugs.gif

You can try to give clear pedialite ( for babies) in the water or by dropper - is she on medicated chick starter?
It sounds like its a respitory type infection. If you have a feed store nearby go and get antibiotics. You are not going to be able to help her if she's just too sick. The other one may have had something and passed it to this one?
put a small stuffed annimal in the cage for her to snuggle against .
Good luck- its horrible when they're sick! All you can do is try our best!

my little baby girl is still going she seems bit better again.she is never left on her own and is always getting cuddles of me constantly i havnt been out the door.she sleeps wi me stuggled into my neck i am avery light sleeper so i wont hurt her i havnt really slept in last 3 nights just on and off.i feed her on chick crumb and has fresh water twice daily.
my hens are fed on layers mash then lots of different treats in afternoons,with fresh vegs herbs and yogurts,mealworm,nuts abit of everything really strawberries and grapes.oh and there faveis grated cheese.my two batterie hens i really dont know how old they are my speckldy girl sally is still laying i have had her since 7 weeks old she is now about 8 months maybe a little older.i clean there coop every day without fail i really do spoil my hens.i dont want to give my bettary ones back as he obviously dosent want them due to ignoring my calls,and i have grown or growing closer to them daily.

Duramycin is a great choice for babies. You can get it at the feed store. It is a powder that you mix in the water. I have had great results with it. At first, I use an eyedropper and dose the chick. I estimate what a chick would drink and I dose them every 4 hours. Once I see that they are drinking on their own, I stop. I had a couple silkies that were extremely sick and I didn't think that they would make it....they are laying eggs now :)

Good luck with the babies!

BTW...medicated chick started only contains a thiamine blocker that helps in the prevention of coccidiosis...it will not help with anything else and is not an antibiotic.

well just an update on my chicken.she seems loads better today no sign of wet eyes and nose she is still gaping for breath every now and then.she is still eating drinking and making noises for me to pick her up.i took her outside today didnt put her down just left her in my hand and she just listened to the birds cheeping.i went to 5 farms by where i live today to find out where i could go and get treatment for her but not one person could tell me anything so what i am going to do is buy some of the medicines tonics you have suggested online.i have changed my thinking from negative to positive and feel much better towards her recovery.thanks guys.x
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom