is my buff rock a rooster or hen?

emilyschartz

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
I have a buff rock who is almost 5 months old. I'm afraid its going to be a rooster. How do I tell if it is or not?

You should look at the feathers around the neck and back (just before the tail starts). If the feathers are long, pointy and bend down a lot it's probably a rooster. At 5 months a rooster would surely have started mating the hens so keep an eye out to see if "he" tries jumping on the hens.
From the picture alone I'd probably say it was a hen but I'm not 100% sure.
Good luck
smile.png

Ok thanks. She or he or whatever it is doesnt really jump om the others. They all still sleep together and she/he is the quietest one out of the five chickens I have. Ill definitely take a look at the feathers. How old does the chicken have to be before I will know for sure

5 months should definitely be enough time. Roosters aren't really very quiet in the flock they usually fight and get grumpy. I'd say it's a hen.

I'd say it's a hen! By 5 months old a rooster would have a more pronounced comb and saddle feathers. Not all roosters are aggresive or large though. I have several and there is only one dominant one and the others are much more passive. Good luck!

Ok so I think I have more chickens that are or might be roosters I can't tell. ANY suggestions? One of the white ones is getting really long tail feathers and the other white one only has small tail feathers.the Rhode island red one has long tail feathers and longer neck feathers than the others but she is aggressive towards the others at time. The two yellow (buff rocks) have small tail feathers and are the quietest out of all five of them. I looked up what the roosters look like of each type of chicken I have but none look like the ones in the pictures online. Can anyone tell me if they're roosters or hens?
[/IMG]

I have A RIR that had a smaller comb and waddles than the other RIR. "She " also was taken into the dominant rooster's harem. We noticed also that she was as big as the other RIR roosters and was starting to grow long tail feathers but was still a part of hens. Never saw any rooster try to mount "her". But one day I saw "her" on one of the hens and the dominant rooster reacted with little aggression but not harshly like towards the other roosters. After 2 wks the dominant rooster finally started chasing this "rooster " away too. I don't know if this rooster was slow in developing hormonaly. Point being, this "hen" was actually a rooster.

Ok thanks. I'm thinking I got 3 roosters out of all my five chickens and I can't have roosters where I live

Back
Top Bottom