Is my chick ugly? Cream Legbar x Silver Spangled Hamburg

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 10.53.29 AM.png

this one lol

For the past year, I've been experimenting with sex-linked and auto-sexing hybrids that lay colorful, predictable eggshell colors. Most have turned out really cool. This particular blue-egger hybrid wasn't on my list initially, but I had a lot of demand for blue eggs from people who wanted to buy my chicks. I currently only have 2 Cream Legbar laying hens. Breeding my Hamburg hens with Cream Legbar rooster doubled my capacity to produce blue-egger chicks. Here's what they look like...
(I'm presuming female on the left, male on the right but please let me know if you think I got the sex wrong)
View attachment 2604618View attachment 2604620

The females aren't bad looking, although not the prettiest in the flock. I hatched 5 of them, with just this one male.

But I'm afraid the male chick is ...ugly. Maybe he will get prettier as he gets his feathers? What do you think? Am I being too critical of this sweet little one-day-old chick?
View attachment 2604637

For comparison, here's what I get when I cross the same hen with my Golden Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben...
View attachment 2604640View attachment 2604641

What do you think?
YES, hideous. I feel it is my duty to take the two in the last pic...to spare the world of such creatures. If needed, I'll take them all. :lol:

@Mellowmalt @bill3607 @RoostersAreAwesome @Weeg @BigBlueHen53 @S_Drummond @Chickenwingwing @BrooksHatlen Thanks for playing! Sorry it took so long to get back. It's snowing in Southeast Missouri tonight!! (it took a minute to get things hunkered down at the farm) Here's the answer...

blueboy1.png
blueboy2.png

The first photo more accurately captures what he looks like in real life. The 2nd one is a little washed out. He reminds me of the Crows, guarding the wall, from Game of Thrones, with the pitch black feather coats lol. He's a sweetie though. I'll post pictures as he grows out.

He is unique. And if you have created a new breed that breeds true, I'm going to suggest a breed name. Uniqua. You-NEEK-wah. You're welcome. 😆
He's a sex link. I was expecting more yellow (from the Silver gene passed down from his Hamburg mama), but only got a partially yellow face. I think that means he'll have a silver head and black barred body. He would likely pass down barring and yellow faces to half of his offspring, but they wouldn't be sexable as chicks.

Aw, I missed him in Photo #1! Hey, I'm in SE MO, too, we're neighbors! Wasn't that snow something? We were in Cape early today at 55°F at 3 pm, when we got home at 5 it was 32! Brr! The dogs came in all wet like they'd been making snow angels! But.. I digress, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom