Is My Chicken Dying?

galaga6846

Songster
Dec 28, 2021
Des Moines IA
I have a 5 month old Brahma chicken who has been in quarantine all week due to a leaky vent and a foamy eye infection. Her eyes seemed to have cleared up, but she's becoming more lethargic by the day. Today it seems that she can't even keep her eyes open, she's constantly drifting off to sleep. Her tail feathers are down. She's not interested in treats, meal worms, corn, and is only drinking sporadically.

I'm giving her amoxicillin. I'm wondering if I need to take her to a vet tomorrow. Could she be acting this way because she's alone in the house away from her friends? Or is she dying?

She sounds very sick. When my hens have got to this stage they haven't recovered and my husband has put them down for me. You can try using a dropper to give her water, trickle it slowly over her beak to see if she will tip her head up and swallow. If you have a bird vet you could take her, maybe there is a different antibiotic to try, but there is generally not much to be done. Sorry 😢

I have a 5 month old Brahma chicken who has been in quarantine all week due to a leaky vent and a foamy eye infection. Her eyes seemed to have cleared up, but she's becoming more lethargic by the day. Today it seems that she can't even keep her eyes open, she's constantly drifting off to sleep. Her tail feathers are down. She's not interested in treats, meal worms, corn, and is only drinking sporadically.

I'm giving her amoxicillin. I'm wondering if I need to take her to a vet tomorrow. Could she be acting this way because she's alone in the house away from her friends? Or is she dying?
If vet care is an option, that would be best.

Please provide photos from today - of the pullet and her poop.

You mention a foamy eye - did she have other respiratory symptoms? Did you treat the eyes with anything?

In another thread, you mentioned vent gleet and some leaking. Looking at those photos, I don't see vent gleet nor really any leaking. Provide some photos of the vent too. You don't have to hold her upside down, just raise the tail feathers.

Have you looked at the skin underneath and around the vent for infection, skin abrasions, maggots, lice or mites?

Work on hydrating her. Electrolytes would be good to give. Once she's drinking well, then offer some wet feed.

Have you treated with anything at all? Dewormed, treated for Coccidiosis or anything like that?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/brahma-with-white-eye-spots-and-vent-gleet.1509639/

You mention a foamy eye - did she have other respiratory symptoms? Did you treat the eyes with anything?

In another thread, you mentioned vent gleet and some leaking. Looking at those photos, I don't see vent gleet nor really any leaking. Provide some photos of the vent too. You don't have to hold her upside down, just raise the tail feathers.

Have you looked at the skin underneath and around the vent for infection, skin abrasions, maggots, lice or mites?

Work on hydrating her. Electrolytes would be good to give. Once she's drinking well, then offer some wet feed.

Have you treated with anything at all? Dewormed, treated for Coccidiosis or anything like that?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/brahma-with-white-eye-spots-and-vent-gleet.1509639/

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply.
Her eyes are cleared up, but now one is quite swollen from what I suspect is a self inflicted scratch.
Her bottom feathers were stained yellow and moist, but they're dry right now. No signs of mites, lice, or (yuck) maggots.

Her poo alternates from normal firm balls to watery foamy yellow with white streaks. She actually doesn't have much poo at all in the cage in which she's contained.

I have used amoxicillin so far, she's on day 3.

Pics to follow in the next reply....

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply.
Her eyes are cleared up, but now one is quite swollen from what I suspect is a self inflicted scratch.
Her bottom feathers were stained yellow and moist, but they're dry right now. No signs of mites, lice, or (yuck) maggots.

Her poo alternates from normal firm balls to watery foamy yellow with white streaks. She actually doesn't have much poo at all in the cage in which she's contained.

I have used amoxicillin so far, she's on day 3.

Pics to follow in the next reply....

20220206_144826.jpg

Hard to tell anything about the vent.
Photos of her swollen eye?

I would make sure she's eating well and drinking. Provide her with a source of grit.
If you can get your vet to run a fecal float on a sample of her poop, that would be good. Have them look for worms and/or Coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom