Is my chicken ready?

Sgsf

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
I noticed my Rooster and Hen "doing" something (which I guess fertilizes the egg?), and I also noticed that around her face has gotten really dark red instead of being a light red. She has been walking with the rooster and just hanging out with him. Does this mean the egg can be on its way? If so, how long will it take before she lays the egg?

I also have a question unrelated to the topic, but an answer would be nice:

If chickens lay eggs every other day just about, then how do they take care of all of their eggs? And do they make their own nest in the hay we got them, or do we need nesting boxes?

That hens comb will darken up shows that she will soon be laying. Just to clarify you know she can lay eggs without him right? Seems the roosters are always ready to get busy way before a hen even gets around to laying.
As for nest boxes its usually good to have a specific area for her to lay,it gives her some security (they like to be alone when laying) and if not you might be finding eggs all over the place.
Im trying to figure out of your planning on this hen to hatch out some eggs? Is that what your talking about when you say taking care of all their eggs? If and only if that hen decides to go broody are you going to hatch anything from underneath her. If she doesnt go sitting your best collecting them daily and make yourself a meal.

Quote:
Ok. And do they eat their egg the first time because they are curious? I'm not sure, but I've heard that somewhere.

I'm really looking forward to the chicken laying an egg and actually sitting on it so it can turn into a little chick. So, your saying if the chicken becomes broody and decides to take care of the egg - thats the only time I can actually get a chance at a baby chick coming (of course the incubator is an option)? Otherwise, she wont be broody and just lay eggs and won't even take care of it - thats when I start making meals.

But if their anyway I can tell to see how soon the egg will come?

But if their anyway I can tell to see how soon the egg will come?

There is no way to exactly predict when the hen will start laying. Some start laying at 17 weeks or earlier some not until much later. Just have a nest box available so that you don't have to go searching for her nest.

Back
Top Bottom