Is my chicken sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by trirealtoramy, Jun 18, 2016.

1. trirealtoramy

trirealtoramy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    Virginia
    Ive noticed some black scabs on one of my hens. I have 5 ladies. This hen tends to go off on her own when free ranging which is different in last few weeks. What do i do? Im so new at this. She is a year old and I just love her.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Siggie

Siggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2015
    Northshore MN
    I am new as well but just off the top of my head....could she have been attacked by a predator? Or pecked on by the other chickens? I am having a hard time trying to figure out just where the scabs are located by the photo. Or mites? But I think they will lose feathers when they are infested with mites....hopefully somebody chicken savvy will come along to give you a definite answer. Good Luck!

3. trirealtoramy

Mar 21, 2016
    Virginia

4. trirealtoramy

Mar 21, 2016
    Virginia
    Sorry i forgot to mention the scabs are on her breast bone. She is usually in a preadtor safe coop. Ladies dont appear to attack her. I have only noticed a few feathers in coop and i clean it daily. Thank you for your reply. It helps knowing people try to help. This site is awesome

5. babybird2003

babybird2003 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2015
    Colorado
    The picture is hard to see but could it maybe be tree sap? I have a chicken that gets it on her and I thought they were scabs too. Is she acting normal? Eating / drinking?

6. trirealtoramy

Mar 21, 2016
    Virginia
    Thats interesting about tree sap. My dog gets similar scabs on her belly and now we are thinking it is plant related. We back up to woods and have a lot of foliage out there. I have now found a second hen who has the same thing on her chest. They both eat normal. Im not sure if they are laying eggs. We get 3 or 4 eggs a day. Never had 5 eggs from our 5 ladies. Can plants irritate hens?

7. babybird2003

babybird2003 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2015
    Colorado
    Not sure about plants either. Maybe there's some thing you can soak their belly in to get the sap off if that's it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by